nothing to select for destination volume to install mac os x

tonicruzan

Registered
so I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world but I just put in a new trackpad and a new hard drive in my macbook

now I'm just trying to install disk 1 of mac os x but when it gets to 'select destination' for me to install it there is nothing for me to click onto

did I do something wrong?

You probobly just need to partition the drive,, being new..

Start up from the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with your computer, and choose your language.

From the menu bar, choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
Open Disk Utility and select the new drive in the list to the left.

Click the Partition tab.
Click on Options, and verify GUID is selected if this is the startup drive.
Name the volume “Macintosh HD.”
Apply the change by clicking the Partition button.

• Quit the Disk Utility application, and proceed with the Mac OS X installation.

All is well up to verifying that GUID is selected..after that how do I name the volume "Macintosh HD"?

When I click on the name space under volume information it doesn't let me do/type anything. That's while the volume scheme is 'current' in the drop down menu. If I select '1 Partition' in the drop down menu it lets me change the name to Macintosh HD but when I press partition after that it says "partitioning a disk will destroy all information of the disk are you sure you wish to erase the disk "WDCWD600BEAS-00KZT0 Media"? Do I proceed and press partition of cancel??

Thanks so much for your help!

All is well up to verifying that GUID is selected..after that how do I name the volume "Macintosh HD"?

When I click on the name space under volume information it doesn't let me do/type anything. That's while the volume scheme is 'current' in the drop down menu. If I select '1 Partition' in the drop down menu it lets me change the name to Macintosh HD but when I press partition after that it says "partitioning a disk will destroy all information of the disk are you sure you wish to erase the disk "WDCWD600BEAS-00KZT0 Media"? Do I proceed and press partition of cancel??

Thanks so much for your help!

Thats right,, the new drive wont have a partition on it at all, you need one before you can give it a name or install OS X on it...

Continue and press partition cause cancel gets you nowhere.. :)

I am having the xact same problem as above however when I get to selecting the partition tab the options button is unavailable to click?

Back