Notice for Macosx.com Email Account Holders

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
If you have a macosx.com email account, please note that it is a requirement that you use your FULL email address as your login ID, vs just your username. This is for both POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP Auth.

Thanks.

Scott

Does that have anything to do with mail.macosx.com being unavailable right now? I keep getting a password prompt/rejection in Apple Mail.

Entered my full address on RoundCube Webmail, which works for me there, but Apple Mail is still down, despite my having changed my user name to my full email address.

Attachments

• password mail.macosx.com.jpg
    password mail.macosx.com.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes, it's available and functioning fine. You just need to change your login (not your password) to your full email address and this applies to your SMTP settings as well.

Okay now, found the SMTP setting.

Scott, why didn't [don't] you just email every macosx.com account holder with the new settings info?

a) Your assuming that people would get the email.

b) It was an emergency change and had to be done w/o any planning, so no notification could be given. Other than online.

c) Less than 5% of the active users using the email accounts appear to be using the "shortname", vs the full email address.

Scott

I checked here first when Mail gave me the same message that andychrist got.

After changing Mail's account preferences, you need to quit Mail, then launch it. The changes will take hold and you will get your mail.

Thanks Scott :) No criticism implied I'm sure by Andy, or myself. I just thought Andy's joke was funny - a bit like including a DVD with instructions on setting up a DVD player...

:D

Oh, none taken. :) Sometimes it’s the "obvious" things we don't think of. Your right on the DVD setup... or don't take the frozen meal out of the freezer until your ready to cook it. Oh quick, I better put it back in. ;)

You're my EMAIL provider... And THIS is how you notify me?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
I just spent 15 hours with no email!!!

Personally I still get Macosx email from a payment from years ago (and a VIP member payment when that was last available) as Scott no longer offers this service to new people. In fact I asked him to just make it a forwarder but I hardly complain about the service I get from him given the cost! Also if something went wrong this is where most people came to look. Scott isnt an ISP and has a job other than this, give him a break!

Personally I still get Macosx email from a payment from years ago (and a VIP member payment when that was last available) as Scott no longer offers this service to new people. In fact I asked him to just make it a forwarder but I hardly complain about the service I get from him given the cost! Also if something went wrong this is where most people came to look. Scott isnt an ISP and has a job other than this, give him a break!

Considering it's a first post ever from this user, I call either spam or troll. ;)

I fed the troll, nooooo!

I just don't like seeing Scott get to much hassle given how much goes into running a site.

Nixgeek - you can't classify all people a spammer just because they haven't posted before. Yaniv has been a member since 2005.

Yaniv - Ora is right. This site and the email services are run with volunteer time and donations. The cost of your email service is low. Next time you experience trouble, come to the forums to see if others are having the same trouble and if not, post or go to the Contact Us link.

Nixgeek - you can't classify all people a spammer just because they haven't posted before. Yaniv has been a member since 2005.

Fair enough. It just seemed that way because it's been the first post since this person signed up, and not a very friendly one at that. Plus, with all the convincing spambots signing up lately, it's no surprise that it seemed very much like that.

Most of us are pretty good-natured and understanding when hiccups occur on the site. Unfortunately, it seems that is not always the case.

Back