Noticed Quirks OS X

Cosmo

Registered
Okay, i've posted some replys to another post, but I thought I'd just make a new one and list what I've encountered so far. Again, no complaints, just stuff I've noticed in the final build.

1. No support for Apple Studio Display 15" TFT Monitor Control Panel.

2. OS 9.1 always, when rebooted into it from scratch, checks for disk errors.

3. Dragging from dock sometimes results in a smoke ghost. (Deleting icon from dock?)

4. Mail crashes sometimes when moving mail messages around

5. Terminal Text appearing in upper left hand corner, like some sort of crash, (White text on Black background on top of OS X Desktop).

I don't know if this helps, but I had Classic start up in OS X every time I logged into X in the background. I'm running a G4 450 Cube, Studio Display 15", 832 MB RAM, 20 GB. Wouldn't expect it to be any hardware shortcomings...?

9.1 will do this if you don't "shut down" the classic enviroment in X. The terminal text is a kernel panic. Do a search on kernel panic for more info about this.

<i>5. Terminal Text appearing in upper left hand corner, like some sort of crash, (White text on Black background on top of OS X Desktop). </i>

That would be a kernel panic, ie. a real crash, the whole operating system, not just some program dying. It seems OS X is flaky on the cube (I wouldn't know for sure, just from reading here and there), so it likely is a hardware incompatibility.

832 MB - Thassa lotta RAM! What do you do with that thing, nuclear reactor simulations?

I've seen the forgotten poof on occasion (when you drag an item out of the dock, the little "poof" happens to make it go away. sometimes, it leaves the last frame of the animation onscreen) and OS 9 almost always complains if you shut down X without shutting down 9 first (you can shutdown 9 through the System Preferences app)

I'm glad that people are starting to respond! I have looked up the kernel panic problem and have just decided to boot into 9.1 and use it for a while until I figure it out further. As far as the RAM goes, I took a gamble and just bought some really cheap online. I like not using VM with image intensive programs, Adobe products, Quark, etc. Kinda off the subject, but does anybod know if there is a thread for Adobe OS X apps that may or may not come out? I would asume they would make them for X native, they(apps.) make Macs worth using!

Back