Now have broadband ... but what a day

pensfan

Registered
I have a good story about finally making the move to broadband from dialup. I'm sitting here now with this wireless 1.5 Mbps Internet connection and I think I've died and gone to Heaven --_but what a trip getting here!

My wife and I have our offices in bedrooms at opposite ends of the house (that's probably how we've stayed married for 15 years javascript:smilie(';)')

Anyway, we decided to get the Airport base station to be the router and get cable modem.

My appt for install is between 8 and 11. The installer gets here, of course, at 10:45. I tell him I want it hooked up in a spot in the family room equidistant between the computers. He refuses, because he says they don't do networks. This is the first I've heard of this, but that's OK, since I'll hook up the network myself. He just has to install the modem directly to my iMac.

When he sees it's a Mac, he all but freaks. Before he takes another step, he tells me it probably won't work because, in his immortal words, Macs don't usually work with the Internet. I assured him it would.

He had absolutely zero knowledge of the Mac. He pulled directions out of his kit which said they were for OS 8.x. I pointed out I had OS 10.2.3, which is quite different. I got the look, if you know what I mean.

It took about 90 minutes before he could pull an IP address. But there was nothing showing up in my browser. I tried to get involved, but he kept shooing me away as he called and talked to the technician's tech support. He kept telling them incorrect information, like the type of computer, operating system, etc.

Finally, he gets an IP address and tells me he's leaving and wants me to sign a happily completed form. This is at 1:55. I won't sign and he calls his office. I tell that person I have nothing on my screen and so looking at a blank browser is not my idea of high-speed Internet.

He can't help and says it's my computer and they did their job. I call Apple and while I'm on hold, it hits me ?_I disabled my personal firewall and then, voila! I have Internet. Then, I disconnect and reconnect to the Airport. Now I have wireless! But I check my wife's and nothing. I talk to Apple and they suggest it's too far (about 75 feet).

Finally , I give up, happy my wife is out of town and I'll have four hours to explain why I spent $500 ($200 for base station, $80 each for airport cards, $30 for an adapter and $100 for the modem, plus tax) and she doesn't have Internet.

Then, I look at my signal strength indicator and notice an Apple Network pane checked. I go to hers and click it and there it is!

After more than 8 hours, we were both on.

And is it great!
Kevin

sadly, an all too typical story with the long strange trip to the happy ending. but if ciurse akk that frustration just makes the final victory that much sweeter, doesn't it? :D

Back