Now that WWDC is over, let the new rumours begin!

To give this thread some info...

The article's about a macrumors-forum based rumour saying that Panther contains code for new PowerBooks. Seems like new 12 and 17 inch PowerBooks are mentioned.

Possible scenarios for new 12in and 15in PowerBooks, include not only faster processors, but a 14in model to replicate the 14in iBook just as the 12in PowerBook is a souped up 12in iBook. The second 17in model might be the long-rumoured dual-processor version.
Hmm, both options would be quite intriguing. No time frame given though.

Well, there's no info but a few version numbers (hardware).

So let's think instead of just repeating what TheRegister thinks, shall we? :)

There's the 12, the 15 and the 17 inch model.

We all have thought that the 15" would move to alu before the others would be updated, too. My thought is: Apple wants to replace the whole setup and end up with:

12" Alu PowerBook, 1 GHz PowerPC 7457
15.4" Alu PowerBook, 1.2 GHz PowerPC 7457
17" Alu PowerBook, 1.3 GHz PowerPC 7457

And when? Before Panther is released, which will be between September and December 2003. (Steve Jobs said, Panther would arrive before the end of 2003 in the WWDC keynote.)

Now... The last PowerBook release was in January. If we take that, '5-7 months' from then would be September. Fits AppleExpo Paris, I'd say. Year of the PowerBook thing. New iBooks could then follow in October or be announced the same day.

Too much hype around WWDC, not many people noticed that Trolltech released an updated Qt library for OSX, bringing it up to version 3.1.2 on par with the other OSes. What does this mean? For me at least, it means I finally have a decent development environment in OSX, one that I'm already familiar with.

If, like me, you don't know what Qt is:

http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000131.html

It's apparently a C++ compiler - a programming tool - that is used for creating applications that run across platforms.

As for me, I'm pretty impressed that Adobe promised a G5-optimised core update for PhotoShop 7 will be freely available by the time the new G5s hit the streets. Well done Adobe.

Not a C++ compiler, but a set of libraries (they call it a "toolkit") to build GUI apps in X11. It's most often used to develop apps for Linux, but *is* pretty cross-platform, and is easy to make apps that are ultra-easy to port between Windows, Linux, MacOSX, BSD, etc.

Similar to GNOME's GTK, much of QT originally grew out of the original effort to build KDE, and is still the toolkit used for KDE.

This is a good thing for OS X =)

Yeah it just sucks that I can't get Project Builder to build Qt apps, but Qt comes with "qmake" that helps generate Makefiles for you so I've been doing all the building via Terminal. Gonna make me a decent IDE that will work with Qt! :D

Some consumers were confused between the 867 MHz G4 PowerBook (12") and the 900 MHz G3 iBook (12"). Apple undoubtedly wants to make the processor difference clear and would not like to see consumers "buying down." In turn, having both iBooks and PowerBooks with G4 processors could hurt some sales.

Back