nslookup strangeness

emck

Registered
First let me describe my setup. I have 2 computers behind a router, one desktop and one portable. The desktop is setup with a static IP and the portable is setup with dhcp.

When I send the command nslookup www.apple.com on the desktop I get:
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.123.254: Non-existent host/domain
*** Default servers are not available

When I issue the same command on the portable I get a different result:
Server: wbnms02.ne.ipsvc.net
Address: 24.128.0.26

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.apple.com.akadns.net
Address: 17.254.0.91
Aliases: www.apple.com

Do you know how I can fix this problem? Do you think it's related to another problem that I have - it takes forever when I try to connect to the desktop or check email or when I connect with ssh.

thanks

edward

Originally posted by emck
When I send the command nslookup www.apple.com on the desktop I get:
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.123.254: Non-existent host/domain
*** Default servers are not available
In this case, your desktop is using 192.168.123.254 as its DNS server, but the IP doesn't reverse (map back to a hostname).

When I issue the same command on the portable I get a different result:
Server: wbnms02.ne.ipsvc.net
Address: 24.128.0.26

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.apple.com.akadns.net
Address: 17.254.0.91
Aliases: www.apple.com
Is there a reason you use a different DNS server for the two machines? Using this DNS server for the desktop will most likely fix the desktop's problem.

Do you know how I can fix this problem? Do you think it's related to another problem that I have - it takes forever when I try to connect to the desktop or check email or when I connect with ssh.

thanks

edward
Usually delays like this indicate a common DNS problem of IP addresses not mapping back to hostnames; a number of services will try to resolve an IP back to a hostname, and if that IP isn't setup, will take some time, hence the delay.

thanks so much it seem to all work out except that I am still having some slow ssh connection when I look at the logs it tell me that it can not reverse lookup and also some other information about lastlog.

sshd[424]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not a file or directory!
Mar 14 08:15:07 BlueTuna sshd[424]: Could not reverse map address 192.168.123.177.
Mar 14 08:15:07 BlueTuna sshd[424]: lastlog_perform_login: Couldn't stat /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction to fix the reverse lookup problem

Edward

IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x are only used for internal non-routeable IPs in a private network. This address could only be used, I think if you have a local DNS server. If this is entered in your DNS, in the network prefs pane, remove it.

Back