Number of files in a folder - How to find out?

MMak

Registered
As title, is there a way to find out the number of files/subfolders in a directory? I've done a "Get Info" in Finder but it only shows me the Kind, Size, Where, Created, and Modified.

Thanks!

---
Mac OS X 10.3.3

counting subfolders in directories won't work if you don't want to use the terminal. But when you open the folder, you will see the number of items in the lower banner of the windows-frame..

Darn, I guess I'm still in the PC age where selecting "Properties" would show all that information. There's a lot I still need to get used to after the switch (10 months ago).

I found this page:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020410125219343

Apparently there's a program that would give me this information, called XRay. All I need to know is the "Contains" field with the count on files/folders. Is there another program that would do only this?

This would be exactly what I'm looking for, except it doesn't seem to work in 10.3.3. Instruction says, "To compute a folder just drag the folder and drop it over the red “DROP” ball icon". When I try to drop a folder, it says, "Wrong Object".

Zammy's first suggestion is good - but to make sure you get the recursive total (files+folders only) - open the folder in a Finder window set to list view and use the keyboard shortcuts for select all and expand file list until the number of files listed doesn't go up any more. [apple][a] then [apple][->].

When you've got the total hit [apple][<-] to close the folders up.
This is a cludge - but it works.

(BTW it's a feature of OS X is that the Finder remembers a window's listing view, but only if you click on the disclosure triangles - not if you use the keyboard short cuts.)

Terminal solution would be easy too - open a terminal window type "cd" and a space then drag the folder you want details about onto this Terminal window. Hit return so you've changed your working directory to that folder then over to you Zammy (or any other UNIX don) for the command to issue...

Gabs

Back