Numbers vs Excel issue

gebo

Registered
I want all excel type documents to be opened with excel. I try to set the default from the "info" window to "Excel" but it won't let me.

Here is my issue. Someone sends me an ".xls" file. I then try to forward it to a client via email and it won't let me send any ".number" files. All I want to do is send a spreadsheet from an accountant to a potential buyer. I would just as soon not ever have "numbers" involved.

HElp me

if you canot set the default application you may have a limited account ?!?

try Right click ( [ctrl]+-click-) and select "open with" .. browse for ms excel and select "always use this application"

this have the same effect as selecting the app in the info window and click to "change all"

Last edited:
It won't let me. I select Excel and it acts like it will work, screen flash and its still reverts back to "numbers."

I select "change all, too.

IT won't let me change...

Gebo...

Are you having excel issues or trouble with attachments in the Mail.app or even a webmail like gmail?

I could see issues of opening non compatible windows excel files but only to add an attachment should not pose as in issue?

Can you clarify... "someone sends you a .xls, you then export or save it as a .number file and then try to attach and send it to a to a recipients email?

Or is it that you open the .numbers file and there is no associated program to open it with? That being the case: make sure you have the correct permissions and press Command "i" > open with > browse to the application and set it.

That doesn't work... write back.

good luck

An accountant has sent me 4 spreadsheets via email in the last year. All I do is open them and save to a particular folder. A potential client then wants me to email him the financial spreadsheet. I type of email, go through the attachment procedure (I am using squirrel mail because that is our work email) and when I open up my folder, I see 4 documents. I try to attach them but the ones that were initiallly opened up with numbers (it somehow became my default opener) cannot be selected. The older documents that were opened with Excel let me choose them and attach.

I just want to prevent "Numbers" from being my default opener. When I go the "info" window of the numbers document, I try to change the open application to Excel and it won't let me.

As was said above... you need to make sure your account has the permissions to allow you to set the applications. Make sure you are logged in as a ADMINISTRATOR, if not create an admin account.

Ok... i too have access to Squirrel... is this what you are seeing? the file you want is faded? (my red circled example).

Just as a test... go into your finder and archive the files you want.. it will compress them to a .zip file and see if you can attach them that way.

next we can work on having excel open all .xls files.

Attachments

• accounting.jpg
    accounting.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4
btw... can you upload one of your files you are having issues with... strip the data from it... i can test it from here.

Ok... i too have access to Squirrel... is this what you are seeing? the file you want is faded? (my red circled example).

YES!

lol... a picture speaks louder than words.

Ok... another. I am glad it's not beach day today.

You are familiar with changing permission etc? Do your files look like this when you "get info" on them? [command "i"]

I opened up a .xls file... you will need to unlock it and get everything to look like this img.

We need a skype call button to do quick tech help with voice... this could have been done in 5min.

keep me posted.

Attachments

• info.jpg
    info.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5
YEs, they look like that. When I just try and change one document.numbers, I can get "Microsoft Excel" in the "Open with" box. I delete .numbers from the extension and close. When I try and open it says I may have a read only and that is bogus. Is there a master switch somewhere I can default all to "excel?"

I changed all details info to me as owner and group and all access to "read and write." It still won't let me change to open with Excel.

Back