obscure iTunes question

dbizzle

Registered
Hey everyone. So you make a playlist in itunes, and you can click on the "artist", "name" or other categories to sort the songs by those categories. You can also click the column with the playlist numbers to be able to have "no" order and be able to sort the songs however you like (by dragging them around). Now if you click the shuffle button in the bottom corner and you have your songs sorted by the playlist number, it will show you that it mixed up your songs, but will still play them from the top to the bottom. If, while you are on shuffle, you tell itunes to sort by 'artist' or 'album' it will rather show the songs in order, but it will 'shuffle' the songs by jumping around the playlist instead of playing from top to bottom. (sigh) So here is my question. While the playlist has shuffle turned on, it will not let you move songs around while you have it sorted by the 'playlist number'. if you take shuffle off, the playlist will change back to your previous order and you can move songs around. So i was wondering if anyone knew how to have itunes shuffle your songs, but still be able to freely move songs around when you have it sorted by the 'playlist number'. I know that was longwinded and complicated, but do you understand what i mean? Try it in itunes to see what i mean. Thanks.

Sorry, but I don't think there's any way. Although I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The way I read it, you could mean one of two things:

1. You want to rearrange the "shuffled" play order.
2. You want to rearrange the "normal" order while in shuffled playback mode.

If you want #1, you should probably do what I do and use Party Shuffle all the time. You can specify a source playlist for it, and it'll let you drag around your items however you like them. It's not quite the same (you could get the same song listed many times, for example), but I find it to be a good substitute.

Oh, and there is one more thing you can do: Send a request to Apple. :)

How about Party Shuffle? You can change arrangements around in there, which is just a matter of selecting and dragging, or control click and select Play Next In Party Shuffle etc

And if you're satisfied with the arrangements and want to keep it that way, select all tracks and under file menu is New Playlist From Selection, just an idea for ya ;)

or you could just hit alt+shuffle.

it'll reshuffle what ever order the tracks were in, when sorted by 'number', and then you can tweak the remaining layout.

is this what you wanted?

also, if you are playing a song in the playlist, it'll make that one stick to the top.

Back