OD (10.3.9) server users on Tiger client

nvdtech

Registered
I have updated some of my client machines to 10.4.9. My servers are still 10.3.9. My OD server is also 10.3.9. When my clients log on to the Tiger client machine (mobile users with local home directories) I can't view the loggin items pane in the "system preferences." The "loggin itmes" pane stalls and does not show the items listed. The user accounts seem to work fine and all managed preferences (live default website, several afp volumes logged in, and special dock configurations all seem to work fine. This has happen on all my Tiger client machines and to all OD users. It's weird. Also, all the manged preferences are on the groups the users belong to, not on the user records.

There was a major update between 10.3.9 and 10.4 in relation to how Open Directory and Workgroup Manager store and handle settings.

Basically if you are using a 10.4.x client with a 10.3.9 server - put up with the issues associated it - and NEVER manager Workgroup Manager from a 10.4.x machine with a 10.3.9 server.

I have created printers with a 10.3.9 workstation that work on both - but if I manage them from a 10.4.x workstation, the 10.3.9 workstations won't see them. Basically it may appear to work - until you want to do something.

However - preference specific to that account - from within that account should be ok - as long as they are not related to an aspect that is managed.

Back