odd airport "problem"

toezter

Registered
i recently discovered that my wifi signal would be horrid at school. the router is set in the 2nd floor library and i barely get receiption in there. other students will get reception on the 3rd floor in class while i don't.

i looked at images of "bare" "taken apart" g3 ibooks and noticed that the airport antenna cord is coming from a different place than mine.

now background, i bought this 800mhz g3 ibook half a year ago used from a student at penn state, which had another owner before her. noticed the problem back then, but shrugged it off since no internet capability in class makes me actually focus on what the professor is talking about.

when i took apart my ibook to see what was going on, i noticed a few things: 1) before taking it apart actually, the cord was hella long, about 5 inches of slack, 2) when taking apart the bottom cover, there where scratches in the 1st clip to remove, plus a missing screw near the cd drive (which i blame for the "buzz" when the cd started to spin), 3) the tape that manufactures slap on was cut (similar to the "do not remove" stickers), and finally, most importantly the airport antenna cord was coming out the wrong side.

now for anyone who has taken appart, or have seen the inside of a g3 icebook would know what i'm talking about, the antenna cord runs from the monitor, out the right "leg" (while looking at the screen), around the cd drive, thru a cannal, into the airport bay.

for some reason, i'm guessing whoever took it apart last time thought running the cord out the other way, exposing more wire in the airport bay would be more "efficient". has there been any talk of such thing? i know if you expose the antenna on an iTrip, the signal length is greater.

well i fixed the problem by routing the cable over the fan very carefully, halfway thru the cannal, then exposing the normal length into the airport bay. i can finally browse the internet in class :)

so, long post but again, why would the person before do such a thing? where they a tard?

fyi, the student at penn state i know could not have done this. tho she has no contact info about the person before her.

Back