Office 2001 alternatives?

derPlau

Registered
Does anyone know if StarOffice, or other Microsoft alternatives, are going to be available for MOSX? (Preferably with MS translators... I wanna be MS-free, but I'll never be completely MS free)

I'm not sure if AppleWorks has the MS translators, but it does run natively in Mac OS X (as well as in the Classic environment -- see its "Inspector" window). As for Star Office, yes, it will be available for the Mac, but I don't know when.

AppleWorks 6 is carbonized and therefore runs native under OS X. Unfortunately it does NOT have the MS translators. You're limited to the AppleWorks formats, plain text, and RTF. There's always translators like MacLink Plus that you can try, but I doubt it runs carbonized.

However I think the original poster was just asking about Office Suites in general, so AppleWorks definitely qualifies for that.

Just a brief comment about AppleWorks: It doesn't.

At least not for me. It won't let me select a default font or search for anything. Whenever I try, it just crashes. Some other advice: Save frequently. Run the updaters under OS 9, and NEVER use the autorecover. This just corrupts files

Don't forget, StarOffice is now open sourced.. perhaps someone with a)development tools and b)a clue could get ahold of it and have a go at it? :) :) :)

Originally posted by abceasy
Just a brief comment about AppleWorks: It doesn't.

At least not for me. It won't let me select a default font or search for anything. Whenever I try, it just crashes. Some other advice: Save frequently. Run the updaters under OS 9, and NEVER use the autorecover. This just corrupts files

Well I updated to 6.0.4 a long time ago... Apple doesn't reccommend you run 6.0 without at least the 6.0.3 updater at all. I personally haven't had any problems with it under X but then I haven't done much with it... since I can't print from X and I didn't use AppleWorks for much to begin with, there really isn't much point right now.

Back