Office 2001 for OS X

VGZ

Registered
I just found out that M$ office 2001 for Mac OS X will ship this fall as a $300 upgrade even to people running office 2001. M$ has really lost it if they expect people to pay $300 just to get a carbon version. Star office for OS X is supposed to be available this summer. Gee I wonder how many copies M$ is going to sell.

Down with M$ office ($300, bloatware), hello Star office (open-source, free)

For more info go to MacNN: Feature

Just thought everyone would be interested in this,

i've never used star office. How good is it really? No "but it's open source" crap. Does it actually compete with office 2001 and can it read office 2001 files? If these are yes then "Down with M$ office" otherwise i need it.

peter

It is my conviction that people who use M$ products loyaly are either unherintelly dumb or brainwashed. Just like many people went to the stores and bought Win2k and ME... and just how people buy all other M$ products, they will buy Office 2001 and microsoft knows it and they are milking the cash cow.

ANd do you know what people will say when they go to buy it?

Me: " SO you buyght Office 2001 eh?"
Them: " Yeah... my computer needed it"

As if they could not do word processing with their current word 98, or with star office or with what ever. I would like to see this computer that said " Hey John, I need Office 2001"

LMAO

Admiral

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
It is my conviction that people who use M$ products loyaly are either unherintelly dumb or brainwashed. Just like many people went to the stores and bought Win2k and ME... and just how people buy all other M$ products, they will buy Office 2001 and microsoft knows it and they are milking the cash cow.
It is my conviction that people who use Apple products loyaly are either unherintelly dumb or brainwashed. Just like many people went to the stores and bought MacOS 9 and G4... and just how people buy all other Apple products, they will buy MacOS X and Apple knows it and they are milking the cash cow.

Sorry, couldn´t resist. :)

Ha ha ha funny man.
It's your conviction, so I respect that LOL.

There is one small difference between apple and M$ though.
(Aside from the hardware issue, lkets just focus on the software)
M$ overcharges (there is no such thing in a capitalist economy but hey, lets just assume they overcharge). The upgrade for ME is $150 AFAIK. The full version costs more. OS X, full version costs $129... much less.
Also, if one wishes to upgrade from OS 9 to 9.1 the upgrade is either free of $20 if you wish for apple to send you a CD.
Further more not all people go buy G4s lol.. I did not, and I know lots of others who didnt.

Macs run on a variety of MacOSs. I know people who still use their Mac II with system 6.0.8! I do agree that there are people that go buy everything thats news to the mac once it hits the shelves, and others think about it, consider the purchase, and if suits them they buy the product. Since we are *only* talking about pretty much hardcore loaylists here, apple and M$ know that their hardcore people will consume anything they (a & m) hand them, the fact remains that apple software is...how shall I say it... they have more attractive pricing.

my 2¢
questions? comments? post a response lol :p

Admiral

I wish Corel had released the source to WordPerfect 3. I would have Carbonized it.

sniff sniff

Anyway I guess I'll have to give Nisus a try. I hate every single one of the Office apps. Excel is the worst spreadsheet on the face of the planet (proven to have inaccurate math and insane, distorted 3D pie graphs). PowerPoint is pure infected dead rectum meat (I wish Canvas could edit powerpoint files, perhaps people could switch to Flash instead of PowerPoint) and Word is the worst of all.

Word is windows recompiled for MacOS. When you press 'down' it fails to put the cursor at the end of the line. Furthermore selecting text sucks hard, when selecting text to the end of a line it will select the carriage return (and makes it damned hard to avoid it). What insanity.

Yes I know about ALL the options in Word's preferences. This issue is not dealt with!

Yes I know OPENSTEP is just as insane, hopefully Cocoa will be updated.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the omni group have some sort of office package available for download ?

admiral,

Where? I went to their site and didn't see anything that looked like an office package. damn. I liked omni web and was getting my hopes up!

peter

Very very weird!
About 2 months after OS X PB came out I went to omni's ite and saw something that looked like an office suit (although I did not downlaod it)....

It seems like it aint there any more... shout!
(I like Omni too)

Admiral

M$ overcharges (there is no such thing in a capitalist economy but hey, lets just assume they overcharge). The upgrade for ME is $150 AFAIK. The full version costs more. OS X, full version costs $129... much less.
Yes, it is right that Windows ME costs more than OS X, 169$ for the full version, 90$ for upgrade.
Also, if one wishes to upgrade from OS 9 to 9.1 the upgrade is either free of $20 if you wish for apple to send you a CD.
That is a minor upgrade, Microsoft also gives out these things called "servicepackages", they are for free.

Macs run on a variety of MacOSs. I know people who still use their Mac II with system 6.0.8!
I know pople that still own a 386 with Windows 3.1.

I agree that Apple is less expensive when it comes to software. but to use the software, I have to buy the overpriced hardware.

What is so stupid about upgrading from Win 98 to Win ME?
Or from NT to 2K?
Ever used these? Do you know about the differences?
Why does one upgrade from OS8.6 to 9?

I think it is really arrogant to call Windows Users "unherintelly dumb or brainwashed".

Actually I have used 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT4 & 2k
There are differences I agree with you
Considering that software cost for M$ is sooo high people are
brainwashed. I am not talking about the OS now.
The OS is something ABSOLUTELLY important and it is worth getting an upgrade (if your machine can handle it that is)

What I am talking about is the office suite. People who have Office 98 on the mac, or 97 on the PC, well they can get stuff done. Am I right or wrong? THey can write memos, do spreadsheets, etc etc etc.

Even though this product they already have in their possesion does the job, they go out and buy Office 2k or 2k1. WHy ?
Because M$ says its bigger and better ? ITs just an office suite to type your letters, memos, and do your graphs. If you are a home user why go out and spend the big bucks for this new product that might not necessarily do (for you) a great amount of good over your previous version. THAT is what I call either dumb or brainwashed, not the OS market. The OS was just an example of pricing.

Admiral

Hi there,
Strobe: Since you seem to be able to carbonize Mac applications, you probably are aware of www.macwp.com, aren't you? Maybe you folks could come up with something great!!! Or maybe it is even easier to port Corel WP 8 for UNIX to OS X? But who can do it?
General: It's hard to understand why Corel has ever dropped the Mac version of their phantastic office suite! A Corel spokesperson has let me know that they would only release another Mac version if they recognized a substantial demand for it. So what? If you don't want Apple to be turned down into Microsoft's experimental backyard, encourage companies such as Corel to offer Mac versions of their products!!!

ANd do you know what people will say when they go to buy it?

Me: " SO you buyght Office 2001 eh?"
Them: " Yeah... my computer needed it"

As if they could not do word processing with their current word 98, or with star office or with what ever. I would like to see this computer that said " Hey John, I need Office 2001"

Uh....in the business world its kind of necessary to read office 2001 documents, which from my experience, can not be read in word 98.

Later

I'd like to say that some of Microsoft's products are actually good. I don't mean to offend any of you but perhaps many people are brainwashed to hate Microsoft also. I'm not loyal to Microsoft, but I do like some of their products. Office and Win2k I own, I own Office:mac as well. There other products such as Microsoft Works and their consumer operating systems are nothing but trash, but they do know how to make things right, at least when it's for people that are willing to shell out the extra cash;)

Originally posted by gcalamont
I'd like to say that some of Microsoft's products are actually good. I don't mean to offend any of you but perhaps many people are brainwashed to hate Microsoft also. I'm not loyal to Microsoft, but I do like some of their products. Office and Win2k I own, I own Office:mac as well. There other products such as Microsoft Works and their consumer operating systems are nothing but trash, but they do know how to make things right, at least when it's for people that are willing to shell out the extra cash;)

Agreed. I actually like the most of the products MacTopia (Microsoft's mac Division) creates.

I too, think Microsoft makes some great software. I simply prefer Office:mac over any other office software I've tried, on Windows or Mac computers.

I am glad you are satisfied with your office applications!
But the fact that you can hardly write the plural of "office suite for Mac OS X" clearly shows a problem, don't you think? Regardless of how good or bad Microsoft products are - the fact that you cannot choose anymore is definitely a bad thing. Therefore - and not because "I hate" Microsoft - I wish other software companies were to release carbonized versions of their terrific office suites, esp. Sun and Corel! One basic pillar of freedom is choice! Microsoft is about to take that away from computer customers worldwide and on all platforms.

I also would love to see more choices in the "office suite" field. It is (very slightly) encouraging to see Apple actually making some improvements in AppleWorks, but I don't think they're aiming to put out a competitor to Office. I started out on WP, and wish it was still in widespread use.
That being said, I am very impressed with Office v. X. The tight integration of the different elements of the package, the Aqua appearance, the customization that is available, all are superior to Office 2001.

Originally posted by VGZ
I just found out that M$ office 2001 for Mac OS X will ship this fall as a $300 upgrade even to people running office 2001. M$ has really lost it if they expect people to pay $300 just to get a carbon version. Star office for OS X is supposed to be available this summer. Gee I wonder how many copies M$ is going to sell.

Well, while I USED to agree that Microsoft Mac products sucked (Word 6!!!), I have to say that their quality since the Mac Business Unit was created by Kevin Browne, et al. is MUCH improved. I feel the need to also say that you mis-stated the upgrade price. According to M$'s OWN website, Office 2001 (or Word 2001) owners can upgrade to Office v. X for only $149 (half of your stated amount).

Also, Office X is hardly just a carbonized version of Office 2001 -- it is a total rebuild (it will run ONLY in OS X and ONLY in 10.1, sorry 10.0.x users!). And I must admit, I pre-ordered my copy last week and can't wait to lay my hands on it. I have seen it in action and it is MUCH improved. While I still share your view that Microsoft *PC* products suck and are clunky, "square", and outdated before they're even released, I feel that those who criticize MS without TRUE justification are just as improperly biased as the Wintel community is of us. Really.

In any event, I lift this text from M$'s website; I think it gives a (while biased) more accurate description of Office X's true potential -- its new interface alone is worth consideration ....

"Office v. X is a fully native Mac OS X productivity suite that features a new Aqua user interface, offers complete support for the modern architecture of Mac OS X, and provides new feature enhancements. Designed to run exclusively on Mac OS X, Office v. X is an unprecedented Macintosh product that builds on the history of innovation and commitment to the Mac community displayed by the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit. Office v. X is a true representation of what a Mac OS X application should look and feel like.

Office v. X takes advantage of the fresh, new design of Mac OS X—starting with the Aqua interface, an innovation that makes features easier to find and use. All four Office applications—Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage—have been given a complete Aqua overhaul.

'By adopting Carbon and Aqua, and by using Quartz to enhance the graphics capabilities throughout Office v. X, we've integrated system capabilities more deeply than ever.' - Kenny Wolf, Development Manager for Office v. X

"Sheets have replaced select dialogs in Office v. X. The way sheets work eliminates the need for you to react immediately to a dialog, giving you greater flexibility in the way you work.

Within each Office v. X application, components such as toolbars and navigation buttons have been redesigned for greater readability and to help you quickly move from one feature to the next. Over 700 new icons have been added, using anti-aliased graphics for a cleaner appearance, and these icons have Aqua-enabled mouse-overs for enhanced usability. And just like Mac OS X, Office v. X uses animation to improve discoverability. In addition, all Office v. X applications and supporting features such as the Formatting Palette have been designed to work with the Dock, providing Genie-style visual feedback and instant access to the things you use the most.

New features in Office v. X

* Clear Formatting: With the Clear Formatting feature in Microsoft Word X for Mac, you can easily reset character and paragraph formatting, set the default text style, and restore hyperlinks throughout your documents.

* Multi-selection: Use the command click function on multiple selections throughout Word documents to apply formatting, spelling, searching or any other operation that wasn't previously applied to the sections.

* AutoRecover: In Microsoft Excel X for Mac, the new AutoRecover feature lets you set specific time intervals to automatically save the latest version of the spreadsheet you're working on. Should you experience a power outage or system failure, Excel automatically recovers the file that was last saved automatically.

* Customizable keyboard shortcuts: In Excel X, you can now customize your keyboard.

* PowerPoint packages: In Microsoft PowerPoint X, you can copy and collect links in one PowerPoint Package, which allows you to easily transfer intact movies, sounds, and images to other computers and electronic media, such as CD-ROMs.

* QuickTime™ movies: The QuickTime Movies feature in PowerPoint X has been improved to allow you to incorporate animation for richer video clips.

MSN Messenger 2.1 for Mac

MSN Messenger 2.1 for Mac is integrated with the Office v. X for Mac suite through Office Notifications. A Mac OS X Carbonized instant messaging application, MSN Messenger 2.1 adopts the UI of the operating system that you're running, whether it's Mac OS 8, OS 9 or OS X. Powered by Microsoft .NET Messenger Service, MSN Messenger 2.1 includes new emoticons, improved integration with the Hotmail® Web-based e-mail service and enhancements to the overall instant messaging experience. Key improvements include the following:

* The ease of one-click integration with Passport profiles, which makes generic e-mail addresses valid Messenger IDs and keeps Buddy Lists and preferences intact with any e-mail address.
* Log on with the same sign-in name and password they use across their favorite MSN® sites as well as other sites that support Microsoft Passport.
* Fully localized into the international language versions of Office v. X, with support for the double-byte character system in Japanese.

Pricing and Availability

Entourage X will be available as part of Office v. X in November. The upgrade price [from Entourage] is $299 (U.S.); the full price of the suite is $499 (U.S.). Users who have purchased Office 2001 for Mac, Word + Entourage 2001 Special Edition™, or any individual Office 2001 for Mac application (Word, Excel or PowerPoint), can upgrade to Office v. X for the special upgrade price of $149. This special upgrade price will be offered for a limited time and will only be available directly through Microsoft. The special offer is not applicable for institutional purchases made through Microsoft Volume Licensing Programs. Check back here for details on fulfillment at time of availability."

Any way, just another point of view. I hate the OLD Microsoft for stealing our look-and-feel and gettng away with it (at least we had permission from Xerox), but the MACINTOSH division (actually it's a stand-alone company) of Microsoft is NOT the Evil Empire -- they are Macintosh lovers, really!

Back