Office 2004 and Entourage

MacMuppet

Registered
Right ['ve had look and theres no really related threads, there's legal questions, test drives, and speculation on shipping back in march.

I've just installed this and entourage has stopped working. Actually I dragged the Office folder to the trash and pasted in the new one to the Apps folder while still in Entourage, and the only problem was the dictionary was still in use in the trash.
Word's dock icon had to replaced with the one from the new Office folder as it was pointing to the one in the trash, but other than that Office appears to work fine as before - except for Entourage.
Once the folder was copied across, I quit Entourage and restarted, and it asked me if I wanted to import my mail settings and I said yes, it all seemed to go ok but cannot connect to my mail server (LDAP).
It says the account does not exist on the server. Even manually entering the mail account settings EXACTLY as they were before will not connect me to my server, keeps saying can't find the account and do I want to re-enter my password? Choosing Exchange instead doesnt help either - its an exchange server but LDAP and SMTP was the only one that worked before.
I have now officially tried everything. I know my install method could have been smoother there, but it imported the previous settings (apparently) and the rest of the programs seem ok. My account is still there on the server.
What I really don't understand is how the settings are absolutely indentical, the mail server's the same, and yet it still doesnt work, not even a 'wrong password' message or something.
Any one else had issues? When Entourage first came out it wouldnt work at all within my offcie network until you did the updates, but can't find any updates to this version... :confused:

MacMuppet said:
Right ['ve had look and theres no really related threads, there's legal questions, test drives, and speculation on shipping back in march.

I've just installed this and entourage has stopped working. Actually I dragged the Office folder to the trash and pasted in the new one to the Apps folder while still in Entourage, and the only problem was the dictionary was still in use in the trash.
I am sorry, but I seem to be too stupid. Don't understand what you actually did and why you trashed your office 2004 test demo (if I got it all right by now).
However, if you just trashed the program folder and didn't touch the plist files in the Library/Preferences, it's no wonder the adjustments where taking in the next installation. However, to help you out in that entourage prob, I should understand what you did...

Basically I was running Entourage - I mounted the disk with '04 on it, went to the Apps folder, dragged the existing Ms Office to the trash (remember, I was still using the version of Entourage that was in that folder, as I had forgotten to quit it) I tried to empty the trash at which point it told me the US Dictionary was in use and could not be deleted - I then realised this was because I had not yet quit Entourage.
I quit Entourage and emptied the trash successfully. I then dragged the new (full version not demo) Office '04 folder from the disc into the Apps folder, and launched Entourage again.
It asked me if I wanted to set up a new account or import existing settings - I imported existing settings which seemed to work, but it now says my account cannot be found on the server.
Its a massive Exchange Server 5.5 and my account is still there. Despite it being and Exchange server the previous version had to be set up as IMAP in order to work.
I have tried creating new accounts and changing the xisitng, but no joy.
Also the original Entourage would not work within our network at all unitl you did the updates, FYI.

I only mentioned the install method on the off chance that I screwed things up somehow, but I don't see how, as it imported the setting ok (the stting look fine on the Account page, they just don't work anymore...)

Back