office 2004, msn messenger 4.0

jonmichael23

Registered
I' ve seen on several sites (including mactopia) that office 2004 comes with msn messenger 4.0 . While most sites have info about the new word, powerpoint, etc. I have not read anything indicating what the new features in messenger 4.0 will be. I am kind of mad, I mean msn messenger came out (technically a beta but everybody had it!) in what june of last year? Its taken the microsoft business unit this long to add the new features (display pics, moving emoticons, games,etc.) , and also the problems with sending files through messenger, the no mic or video support, hasnt been addressed yet !Not to mention where messenger just signs u out, for no reason, even when you have broadband and your connection cant get disconnected! After all this wait, version 4.0 better have some of these features. Anyone heard of anything, know if a beta version will come out, or if it will be out before office 2004 comes out?! Also, I heard that the new VPC 7 will use your macs graphics card to near full extent, enabling gaming to be somewhat possible, along with a much faster experience, and of course G5 compatibility. Anyone else heard of the graphics card support? If in fact it does utilize the graphics card this should make a much more enjoyable experience when using XP, and will be key for the future emulating of longhorn ( in what, 2007? when OS X 10.5 will be out? :) ) Anyway, if true vpc will be a welcome addition to much more people, especially G5 owners :p !

jonmichael23 said:
I' ve seen on several sites (including mactopia) that office 2004 comes with msn messenger 4.0 . While most sites have info about the new word, powerpoint, etc. I have not read anything indicating what the new features in messenger 4.0 will be. I am kind of mad, I mean msn messenger came out (technically a beta but everybody had it!) in what june of last year? Its taken the microsoft business unit this long to add the new features (display pics, moving emoticons, games,etc.) , and also the problems with sending files through messenger, the no mic or video support, hasnt been addressed yet !Not to mention where messenger just signs u out, for no reason, even when you have broadband and your connection cant get disconnected! After all this wait, version 4.0 better have some of these features. Anyone heard of anything, know if a beta version will come out, or if it will be out before office 2004 comes out?! Also, I heard that the new VPC 7 will use your macs graphics card to near full extent, enabling gaming to be somewhat possible, along with a much faster experience, and of course G5 compatibility. Anyone else heard of the graphics card support? If in fact it does utilize the graphics card this should make a much more enjoyable experience when using XP, and will be key for the future emulating of longhorn ( in what, 2007? when OS X 10.5 will be out? :) ) Anyway, if true vpc will be a welcome addition to much more people, especially G5 owners :p !

Could you post a link for the talk about office 2004 for mac? Also, you can use Adium 2 for your chat client instead of MSN Messenger. It connects to msn, aim, yahoo, you name it :)

It's still in alpha development, but i use it everyday. Check out www.adiumx.com if you are interested.

Hmm... The user didn't _ask_ about Adium and was talking about MSN Messenger's features. But yes, a link would be helpful (for the Office 2004 thing).

fryke said:
Hmm... The user didn't _ask_ about Adium and was talking about MSN Messenger's features. But yes, a link would be helpful (for the Office 2004 thing).

Yeah but he was talking about MSN Messenger, i just wanted to let him know that MS client isn't the only way :)

I've used adium, it was interesting but messenger 3.5 in my opinion is better. Anyway, fryke just search office 2004 for mac in google and theres a bunch of links to articles on it, one from microsoft.com that confirms much of what i said, but I can't find the site that said graphics cards would be more fully supported. I definately read it from at least two sites, but I can't remember what they were. Again, I found it on google but I don't remember what i searched for. Anyway let's hope its true :).

I am also interested to know news on MSN Messenger 4.0? I am looking forward to the release, I just hope it eventually gets up to speed with the feature rich Windows version!

Yes, MSN Messenger 4 is of interest to me, also.

I use MSN Messenger and I don't have any problems with it kicking me off or anything like that, though I've had the odd snafu with sending files through it...

I read something about VPC 7 being able to achieve something like 30-40 FPS in games like Quake 3, whereas VPC 6 can barely get 10 or so on a good day. So yes, VPC 7 will definitely have better, faster performance for games and normal apps.

I've said this before but Virtual PC moving into the warm embrace of Microsoft could well be the best thing that could have happened to it.

If anyone can make it fly, Microsoft can.

How does it make Microsoft look if Windows lurches and splutters around? [insert comic asides here...] Microsoft have the opportunity to make Virtual PC run at a reasonable clip on a mac...

Back