Office OSX Problem

wditto

Registered
I have several G4 Macs and they all have the same problem.

When I launch Office (just got it yesterday) OSX, Word launches fine and I can launch powerpoint etc from the Word main menu, but when I just click on an icon for say Excel, it quits. The console says:

2001-11-26 21:31:50.374 loginwindow[303] Can't connect to pbs object "RulebookServer"

I did a clean install on my cube and this problem went away. I do want to avoid wiping my hard drive and reinstalling office to use it. Plus I am not so sure that it will work after I install all my other software. I am running a Samba share, that is the only odd thing about my setups. I am running OS 10.1.1, this problem occurs on my dual G4 and cubes.

Bill Ditto

william.ditto@bme.gatech.edu

I had the same problem. It´s something with the "Project galley". The solution is to inactivate the launch of project gallery at startup, which is kind of tricky because you use the project gallery to inactivate it.

1. start project gallery an create an excel workbook using word app
2. save the excel document
3. start project gallery using excel app
4. uncheck "start project gallery at startup" and klick ok

After this you shouldn´t use project gallery when you have an unsaved excel document open.

//Essage

At least this is a temporary solution until someone figure out something else, or microsoft comes with an upgrade.

Thanks for the work around. It works that way. Seems like they could have found this out themselves pretty easily but then I guess they have lots to worry about. Does anybody know if the OSX version of office uses both processors on launch? The reason I ask is that on my 500Mhz cube, the launch is pretty pokey, but on my dual G4 with triple scsi it launches almost instantly. I would just chalk this up to the 500 -> 800 speed difference except office xp on my 1.7 Ghz windows 2000 machine takes a lifetime to launch.

Anyway, THANKS for the workaround. It was very annoying to have to go to word every time to launch excel.

Bill Ditto

Back