Office v X annual license fee?

John Melby

Registered
I have just read the following from today's MacInTouch Page:

--------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:57:01 -0500
Subject: Office v.X Expires in One Year

This may be a known fact, but I found it shocking - With all the attention on he new "Microsoft Activation" scheme, I decided to read my Microsoft Product License for my newly purchased Office v.X.

I was stunned to see that the license clearly states the product will "de-activate" one year (365 days) from activation unless I pay for a new copy.

I am stunned - simply amazed that after paying $500.00 for a a office suite, that Microsoft would have the gaul to time limit it to one year. Imagine if Photoshop, Maya, and others simply "de-activated" after one years use.

I thought this was of interest to the public - not many people actually read the software license agreement.

--------------------

Can anyone who has a copy of Office v. X either support or refute this claim?
:confused:

That can't be right. Microsoft is pretty bad at whoring their customers, but I don't think any company with a product as widely accepted as Office would do that.

Microsoft is now hiring software, or is it trialsoftware? I Know two good arguments against Microsoft. Garbage and take the face away from hardware. (noicy -- fan or 64bit Sun100)

Hey herve, stick with us, you are making more sense each and every day :D

as for office X... big thumbs down.

1) Stick with Office 2001/98, even you are using OS X

2) Use AppleWorks, or whatever

I am going to go for both of the above solutions :D

Well I got my Office v.X CD today and I found what he was talking about. It basically says that if you bought a Subscription Product it will last for 365, at the end of which you will need to re-register. I called Microsoft about it and they said that the current Office v.X is a Software product, once you buy it, you own it. That particular wording is only in the contract because they are strongly concidering implementing a subscription-based sales approach in the future.

So .. we're safe. I guess.

Back