Office v X Entourage

gedgette

Registered
I am having considerable problems sending emails using Entourage. The error messages vary but it basically is telling me that the administrator does not recognize the address even though I have no problems sending them a message on a PC compatible computer. Further, if it is a reply to a message sent to me, it gives me a similar error message. Does anyone know what is causing this problem. I would like to use this program as it appears to have a lot of nice features, but until I solve this email problem, I'm stuck.

I use Entourage and I'm not having any problems at all.

1. Have you installed the service pack and the update?
2. The only problem I have with Entourage isn't Entourage's fault... it's part of the network connect--there's no communication between Applications and the dialup, so an app will try to connect before there's an actual connection and this sometimes results in an error... in Entourages case it won't let you do anything and you have to force quit. Of course, if you have a perm connection, this shouldn't be a problem.
3. Could you give the EXACT error message you're recieving?

MacLuv
Thank you for your response:
You posted
1. Have you installed the service pack and the update?
2. The only problem I have with Entourage isn't Entourage's fault... it's part of the network connect--there's no communication between Applications and the dialup, so an app will try to connect before there's an actual connection and this sometimes results in an error... in Entourages case it won't let you do anything and you have to force quit. Of course, if you have a perm connection, this shouldn't be a problem.
3. Could you give the EXACT error message you're recieving?

1. Yes, I have.
2. I'm on high speed hookup and always on
3. The error message reads:
A message in your Outbox could not be sent using account "Gary". The server did not recognize the recipients or the server refuses to allow you to send mail.
Explanation:
relaying to <e-PROTalk@epronar.com> prohibited by administrator.

Actually it doesn't matter what I put in the send to line, I get the same message.

gedette

Have you checked to make sure that your smtp server info is correct for who you are connected to?

I had a similar, if not same problem, where I couldn't send emails when I went on holiday connected through a different ISP. I finally worked out that I had to change the smtp info (Tools menu - Accounts - select the email address you are sending your email from and click on Edit - then, at the bottom enter the correct smtp details).

I've got DSL at home, and I link thru one ISP. On holiday in my holiday city, I have a different DSL ISP, so I have to make the change every time I go and return. I haven't found an easy way of being able to change this automatically.

Basically, the smtp server you enter must match the ISP you are connected to.

Zeal :)

Yes, I think it's an error with your mail server, not Entourage... you need to check with your ISP or server admin to make sure your SMTP is set up right... please check back and let us know if this is the problem, i'm really curious...

thanks,

me

My smtp server is absolutely correct. I have three accounts and all three exhibit the same problem. I had no problem with any of them initially but now I can't send anything on any of them. The three are cisdata.net (pop3), msn hotmail and mailout.uophx.edu(imap). The settings work fine on my PC at home and on my PC Laptop at work.

The only other suggestions I have are:

1. Check your Rules to see if there is something in there that shouldn't be.
2. Check your firewall settings:-
2(a) If you've got Norton Personal Firewall running, check to make sure that in the Preferences you don't have "Enable protection for UDP as well as TCP" set for "All UDP Ports" so that outgoing messages are made delinquent.
2(b) I haven't played with OSX's builtin firewall stuff, but maybe you set something that prohibits messages being sent.

Zeal

This is a common problem, one I'm actually looking for the answer to right now.

Tons of people have this problem, and no one seems to either acknowledge the problem or even have a fix for it.

Seems like Entourage needs a better timeout on the smtp server. I think it's set far too low for it's own good. Something like 10 seconds when it should be 45...

Hmm, I don't like to use firewalls because they block a lot more than they should. Any suggestions where I could find firewall settings because none show up in the preferences or network settings? Twyg could be right about the timeout settings, outlook allowed me to change these settings and since the sites require password verification it seems like it would naturally take longer than ten seconds. Anyone heard of a way to change that setting? Or is this another one of those Apple "we know what's best for you" hidden commands.

Have you checked the 'authenticate' option in the smtp additional settings area (may be called advanced or something). I believe that I was getting the same error when I first set up Entourage and had to check that option to send mail. Unfortunately, I am not at home right now or I would be more accurate as to exactly where the option is.

Good Luck!
ken

Back