Office X error. HELP!

corimay

PeanutButter
If I try and open up any of the Office X programs, I get an error saying it cannot access my data. For example, when I try to open Entourage, it gives me this error:

Entourage cannot access your data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database.

So I try to rebuild my database, but it fails to complete the rebuild. ahhh!! What do I do now? I tried deleting Office X and reinstalling it, but it didn't work. Any other ideas??

Thanks.

open up diskutility in your Utilities folder, select your volume, click the first aid tab and click repair permissions.

tk4two1 said:
open up diskutility in your Utilities folder, select your volume, click the first aid tab and click repair permissions.

Thanks ... but it didn't work :( I'm wondering why I can't just wipe Office X out completely and start over fresh. grr!

Ah, but he DID, and it didn't help. Re-read post #1.

Actually, corimay, have you tried the Uninstall Office utility on the CD-ROM? Or did you just drag the apps to the trash?

brianleahy said:
Ah, but he DID, and it didn't help. Re-read post #1.

Actually, corimay, have you tried the Uninstall Office utility on the CD-ROM? Or did you just drag the apps to the trash?

Yea, I was able to repair permissions, but I'm still getting the Office error.

I have an education version of Office X 10.0.0, and there's no "uninstall" utlility anywhere on the CD. so yea, I basically just dragged it to the trash.

Hm, odd. You're sure it's not on there? Not in the Value Pack folder or anything? Very odd.

Well, I could send you the uninstall utility I guess. I can't imagine that MS would object to the distribution of something that REMOVES copyrighted software.

Failing that, you could manually check your various Library and Library/Preference folders and remove anything that relates to Office or Entourage, then re-install.

Incidentally, you can download several free Office X updates from Microsoft's site.

Yea I've done the updates for Office X. It was updated to 10.1.5.

brianleahy: I found the uninstall program. It was right under my noise under the value pack folder "remove office".

Ok, so I removed it, restarted, reinstalled. Still same problem. ACCKKK! But when I opened entourage, it prompted me to select a profile. So somehow it didn't remove everything ...

brianleahy said:
Search your hard drive for a folder called "identities". If you can find it, nuke it & try again...

Yup that was it ... there were still a couple of Office X files scattered around.

THANKS GUYS! You all rock!!!!! :D

Back