Office XI is coming to the Mac!?

lets wait and have a look at keynote. if keynote is good in comparison to powerpoint, then apple will surely be able to make appleworks as good as office :)

they say it is the most compatible office yet, but i doubt that it will open or save as an openOffice or starOffice format. I really hate M$. and i do not support their bloated office suite. Star office is a far better product (for PCs) and openOffice r0x0rs my linux box. I havent used apple works. Is that a good suite. Because all i really need is a something with a spell checker, maybe a small spreadsheet app.

its goood for you, but MS office is one of the best there is today. No, not even StarOffice is as advance as it.

i dont think apple should jump in here quite yet, simply because office is basicly a standard, its what i belive the core of microsoft the one thing that truly holds it together.

Keynote is excellent and somewhat of a choice one has for presentation, go apple...

If there were to be another program by apple or whoever decided to compete with microsoft office, it would.....

1) have to be free. corporations would buy if it was cost effective and licence free.

2) import all documents and be compatiable with all formats that word can create and export etc. or some how transform any of the above formats to a universally and licence free open source format, one that would smuther the .doc file format, office etc.

3) be promoted, heavly. it would have to prove itself to the corporate market succefully and with out any complications, not once.

its just a few examples of how it would create a good, check mate...

any good algorythm writer out there?..

There is no hope for an office alternative really taking hold, anywhere, anytime.

M$ has ultimate power. All they have to do is update the next version to "break" all compatibility with third party software. End of game.

Just so everyone knows, apple has no intention to add keynote to apple works and I doubt that they will

(when i was playing with keynote i loved how it worked like this one transition where a cube turns and you see the next slide ^^ :D)

Keynote transitions are running fine on my TiBook 500. Maybe depends on the resolution you're using. As my video projector is 800*600, I've designed our presentation in that resolution, of course. It looks fine. Also, you can export as QuickTime, which should take care of that (if you can play QuickTime well in the resolution you need).

About MS Office having ultimate power over its market: Yes. And I guess Colleen should have handled the case differently. Would have been better. Yet, what is it we really want? If we don't want to use MS Office because we _hate_ Microsoft, we can choose not to. There _is_ software to replace it. You can import and export PowerPoint in Keynote. Well done, Apple. You can use OpenOffice.org (yes, it's still depending on an X11 environment) or AppleWorks. If it's about price: Same thing.

doesnt powerpoint have power over its market? why cant the same thing happen with office? (assumin that u like keynote more than powerpoint :p)

I think PowerPoint and Keynote have their differences in features. Keynote is _not_ a PowerPoint killer. But it's a good replacement if you don't want to use PowerPoint. The same thing can happen to word processing and spreadsheets. Nisus Writer X (formerly Okito Composer) looks good, but it's not out yet and won't have Word compatibility at the beginning. Apple could (and should) put out a souped up TextEdit, I think. Same for a spreadsheet application.

Back