Official: Sierra Thread

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
This is for thoughts and complaints. Any individual problems - please start a new thread !

Well what I was afraid of is happening. Developers are releasing software that requires Sierra. I wonder what % of users have Macs that can run Sierra? I have a MacPro 3,1 which doesn't run Sierra. Apple provides no similar new hardware. One can get a used Macpro 4,1 but how long will it run future Os systems?

I feel that developers should at least support the present OS and one OS back. It is not happening.

I have a complaint. Mac OS Sierra's Finder sidebar has monochrome icons and turns all the folders that look like folders into generic folders. I would like to have some way to stop that. Is that possible?

Funny . . . I held off posting so as not to be the first in the "sticky" I suggested. I came to this thread to note that there are ways to alter Sierra perfectly legally that will not threated the Fabric of Creation or Let the Commies Take Saskatchewan.

The following are easy with free programs pretty much everyone HERE knows or uses like Titanium Software's free Onyx and Deeper:

• 1. Return the Login Page to a Wonderful Wallpaper You Loved!
      2. Change ALL of the icons by default.
Since you brought up the second, there is a way to do it. Kindly leave another message so you are not a "one post poster" then wait a day. It is easy, but it takes a bit to write out. I posted the basics on one of the commentary for OS Daily on changing the wallpaper. While it is not complicated, I hate directions that "assume" you should know to "do this" in Terminal!

This does not involve "Get Info" every [CENSORED--Ed.] folder to replace the icon. It involves replacing the icons Sierra uses. This will also include the Dock. I have not altered the icons on the standard Finder Favorites since I do not have any alternatives I like.

Yes . . . you too can have folders that look like this:

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

rather than the weak, flat, boring folders which will make All of The Kids laugh at you!

--J.D.

Doesn’t/didn’t El Capitan do the same things with icons - monochrome - in the side bar? Does Onyx and Deeper work with ElCapitan as well?

Yes the icons are monochrome in El Capitan. Onyx and deeper work well in El Capitan. You may have to upgrade to an El Capitan version.

Funny . . . I held off posting so as not to be the first in the "sticky" I suggested. I came to this thread to note that there are ways to alter Sierra perfectly legally that will not threated the Fabric of Creation or Let the Commies Take Saskatchewan.

The following are easy with free programs pretty much everyone HERE knows or uses like Titanium Software's free Onyx and Deeper:

• 1. Return the Login Page to a Wonderful Wallpaper You Loved!
      2. Change ALL of the icons by default.
Since you brought up the second, there is a way to do it. Kindly leave another message so you are not a "one post poster" then wait a day. It is easy, but it takes a bit to write out. I posted the basics on one of the commentary for OS Daily on changing the wallpaper. While it is not complicated, I hate directions that "assume" you should know to "do this" in Terminal!

This does not involve "Get Info" every [CENSORED--Ed.] folder to replace the icon. It involves replacing the icons Sierra uses. This will also include the Dock. I have not altered the icons on the standard Finder Favorites since I do not have any alternatives I like.

Yes . . . you too can have folders that look like this:

View attachment 8570

rather than the weak, flat, boring folders which will make All of The Kids laugh at you!

--J.D.
I already used the "Get Info" trick to customize all the folders that I wanted to change. The only things in the dock I wanted to change were the Applications and Utilities folders, and I used "Get Info" to change those. Finder does not honour my nice customized folders in the sidebar. It changes them to generic and greyscales everything there. TotalFinder works only in the standalone Finder, not in the browse window used by applications.

I tried Deeper and it screwed things up, so I am not going to use that again.

My Children:

To answer your individual questions quickly, yes, Deeper works in El Capitan, but it also works in Sierra. To do it--without Get Info every [CENSORED--Ed.] folder there is a simple method that just has a number of steps.

I have NOT tried to change the icons on the Finder sidebar. It is probably/possibly/only אל knows a similar process, but I do not have replacement icons. They do not offend me. I would, therefore, suggest:

1. You CLONE your hard drive.
2. You CLONE your hard drive.
3. You don't talk about Fight Club!

and DO all changes I will suggest booted on clone. If you frell it up? Discard the clone. I do not mind the Sierra Finder Sidebar icons. If you have better--or want to use the ones from El Capitan/Snow Leopard--best to test it all on a clone. Seriously, I tested all of this on a clone first. Figured out how to trouble shoot--"why does my System Library now evoke Cthulhu?"--then applied it to my actually drive.

Now, it will take me a bit to write it up. Please be patient. Before that, goest thou to download the now free Candybar. This was an application that easily let you DEFAULT change any icon to a bunch of awesome alternatives or any you created.

Sadly . . . after Snow Leopard I think, it failed to work and the creators simply could not keep up with the changes. So it is now free.

So why do you want it?

For the icons!
_slide__zpse6a1593d.gif

You may safely install it on any current OS--including El Capitan and Sierra. Do that simply to have the collection of icons. I will explain, when I write it up, "where" to find them and how to use them. It will be the same process if you have other icons you prefer.

I do not know if it will work for Finder Sidebar icons because I have not tried.

This is probably a project I can compose whilst allowing my ass to take root into my seat as I watch Thanksgiving NFL
sweat_zpsb873f269.gif

--J.D.

I do not have a problem with the icons. I already changed all the icons I wanted to change. My problem is what MacOS is doing to them in the Finder sidebar. Is it some code in Info.plist inside CoreTypes.bundle that does that? If so, how does it work?

Back