"Often" and "Once" MCX not applying in 10.5.8

chrisgrange

Registered
We're running a COD setup and everything has been fine. I've upgraded the clients and server to 10.5.8 with seemingly no problems. However, I've just added some new users and found that "Often" and "Once" preferences are not applying to users, "Always" apply just fine. In essence what this means is that our Mail Account preferences are only half applying - the account gets created on the client ("Always" settings) but authentication settings are not ("Once" settings). The strange thing is that if I log in on a 10.5.6 station, the accounts and auth settings are set just fine.

This also seems to be the case for configuring iCal accounts through MCX as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've filed this as a bug report with Apple but would be very appreciative if some kind folks could help me to test.

As stated above, our new users are not having their mail auto-configured fully. In WGM for com.apple.mail.managed we set:-

ONCE:-
AuthenticationScheme GSSAPI
FullUserName %@
SMTPHostname server.domain.com

ALWAYS:-
AccountType IMAPAccount
EmailAddresses 0 %@@domain.com
Hostname server.domain.com
Username %@

In 10.5.6 (and before) this worked fine (I'm not sure about 10.5.7). I still have a 10.5.6 laptop and if a new user logs on to this then their mail account is created fine. On a 10.5.8 station, the account is setup but without authentication information or an SMTP server (the "once" preferences).

Looking inside a new user's /Library/Preferences folder after they've logged in to 10.5.8, nothing is written to com.apple.mail.managed except a uniqueID.

A user who has logged in to 10.5.6 has a com.apple.mail.managed that contains:-

AuthenticationScheme
FullUserName
SMTPHostname
uniqueID

Could anybody test this for me please? It only affects users who have not previously had their account auto-configured which is why it's only just shown up (we've just started the new school year with 150 new users).

For information we're a dual AD/OD site.

Thanks in advance.

Back