oh boy....

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
...now I am pissed :mad:

The guys at fink should spend some time and effort developping some sort of "continuous download" or "download resume".... I have jsut wasted 10 hours of my computer's life :p ...

I started downloading XF86-rootless... at the 50MB checkpoint my stupid dial up would time out!.... then start the download frm scratch again...and now my stupid F'ed up ISP did the same thing :mad: !!!1

Grrrr!!!!
I have given up with fink for now, I will jsut download teh source with viaHTTP on OS 9, (which has resume download) and just drop the files in my src dir in fink...

Admiral

Thanks for teh offer ;)
I have almost re-finished re-downloading it with viaHTTP :p

I think I will note the URLs and download em on my work T1 computer then bring em home lol :p

Admiral

Has ViaHTTP gotten any updates lately?
Well, last time I used it, it would crash (hard reboot) as a punishment for looking at it!
So I deleted it in fear for myself opening the application again!

I have version 1.7.6
It works fine...

but.. it was all in vain :mad: !!!!!!
5 hours of downloading for what ?
fink wont install it!
Furthermore, it wont install the aftersteip (1.8.10) I downloaded!!!!

When I start the Xdarwin app, my screen goes blank, then the program quits...

Can someone clue me in :p
(I am used to installing this stuff when I install the OS in BSD OSes so I dont have to bother with them)... whats up ?! Can someone point me to a valid link for afterstep (1.8.8 ?) and xfree86-rootless that I can actually use ???????

Admiral

What are the error messages you get? Again, you might try checking http://fink.sourceforge.net/ as the FAQ pages and documentation has been recently updated.

Of course Fink can't handle 1.8.10, if it says it needs 1.8.8. There is a precompiled binary available (although I have not tried it) that you should be able to get by typing

sudo apt-get update

and then

sudo apt-get install afterstep

in the Terminal. I don't know if this is completely correct, since I have never tried it. It is covered in detail at http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/users-guide/packages.php so you can get more information.

Yesterday, I completely removed Fink and I am currently in the process of reinstalling everything (I couldn't install xfree86-rootless package for some reason, and also I had an strange mix of packages that were either compiled in 10.0.4 and 10.1). I will probably try to install AfterStep this way whenever Enlightenment is done compiling and installing (read: in a month or so).

Yes those were my initial problems too...

I think I have royally screwed up fink by editing the info and .patch fules :p
now fink wants to install afterstep 1.8.10 :p I might just delete all fo fink, and then reinstall everything...

If you get stuff running with this new fink tell me and I will give it a try :p

Admiral

Yes those were my initial problems too...

I think I have royally screwed up fink by editing the info and .patch fules :p
now fink wants to install afterstep 1.8.10 :p I might just delete all fo fink, and then reinstall everything...

If you get stuff running with this new fink tell me and I will give it a try :p

Admiral

Well, xfree86-base, xfree86-rootles, nedit, and oroborus (a nice compact window manager) have all installed flawlessly. In fact, I would suggest installing oroborus, and then giving OroboOSX a try. A few people mentioned it on Fink's user list, so I tried it. I haven't used much else since.

I tried installing rootless but I cant... I even downloaded teh damn thing!

grrrr!!! :(

scroo this :p dont need this stupid agravation :p

Admiral

Back