OH MY GOD -- check out what address book can do!!

solrac

Mac Ninja
You know how you can send SMS messages from cell phones to cell phones? Also known as "short mail" on the Sprint Network, or Text Messaging.

Well you can do it right from address book! No phone needed, no cellular service needed! It just works! It must be a standard protocol. It's just standard text over IP or something! Now you can send text messages to your buddies' phones for free, with no cell phone account even! And if they reply to you, and address book is open... you get the reply right on your computer screen! I don't even know how that works!!!!

Here's a pic (attached)

Attachments

• abook-sms.jpg
    abook-sms.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 471
Hmm.. i be thinking you have a bluetooth phone (see the shiny bluetooth icon in a.b.?) . this is a long documented feature of a.b. Unless your talking about instant messaging between computers, then that's quite cool. no wait, that's email.

yeah but I'm not using my phone to send SMS .... unless it's automatically using my phone? Hmm...

If you have Bluetooth mobile phone and Bluetooth module in your Mac you can do MANY things with them via the Address Book:
-SMS reply/send/view
-Accept/Make calls
-Redirect calls to Voice Mail

Via the Address Book you can also email someone, visit his/her web page, iChat with them, go to their iDisk, Get a Map of their address, or view their telephone/fax/etc. numbers in Large Type (across a room or something in order to call them with another device maybe or simply take notes)...

Anyways, Address Book is more than meets the eye and maybe just maybe, now you people can understand why I was making fun of Wintel and their Athens PC the other day, here:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32231 :D ;)

Here is a piece from there:
Oh, almost forgot this:
"When the hardware receives an incoming call, the software automatically pulls up the caller's contact information and photo if the data are stored on the system."
OS X Address Book + OS X Bluetooth + SE T68i = Anyone?

:p

:)

A cool utility for your address book is something called iAddressX or something like that. It puts a @ symbol up by your clock and you can easily access all that info without opening the address book application. One of my favorite utility extras.

Cool, great stuff I hadn't known about. Can't wait to get home and give it a try, but hulkie, I gotta say the t68 is a dismal phone. :)

Originally posted by solrac
yeah but I'm not using my phone to send SMS .... unless it's automatically using my phone? Hmm...

Expect a big bill in your mail :p

Another cool think about Address Book and Bluetooth phones... If you sync the two, and you have photos in your address book, when a call comes in from someone with a photo, the photo shows up on the screen letting your know who is calling...

This works on my Nokia3650, and other color bluetooth phones with cameras, I suspect...

Originally posted by Randman
Cool, great stuff I hadn't known about. Can't wait to get home and give it a try, but hulkie, I gotta say the t68 is a dismal phone. :)

That's why I'm getting next week Sony Ericsson T610 :D ;)

Originally posted by ksv
Expect a big bill in your mail :p

lol... well I get 250 texts per month for free...

OK but how does it use MY phone and MY service for this? What if I had TWO bluetooth phones? Which one would address book use to send SMS, and which would get billed?

Maybe Adressbook really can send SMS for free. But this is nothing new. ICQ can send SMS since quite some time.
Microsoft Messenger can also send SMS, but only with an add-in (MS-ish for PlugIn), I think.

OK but how does it use MY phone and MY service for this? What if I had TWO bluetooth phones? Which one would address book use to send SMS, and which would get billed?

The Address Book works with the mobile you pair it with via the Bluetooth!

There can be only one! :p :D ;)

Dude, it is cool, but not hugely exciting, as far as I know Adress Book had always done it and I've used it a bit with my t68. When you use Bluetooth with your Mac, you pair it up with your phone. When you click the Bluetooth button on Address Book your mac just looks to see if its connected to your paired phone. If it is then you can send SMS messages. They are still getting sent through your phone and your phone account! Its nothing to do with the Internet. Say you get a friend to send a text with your phone because you're driving (and maybe changing CD and lighting a cigarette at the same time), its just like that. There's no difference in sending it manually, its just that you get to type in the message instead of using your phone's keypad.

The only thing that annoys me is that there's no confirmation that the text has sent on the Mac. Apart from that, its quite useful, especially if you have free texts in your talk plan.

T610 rocks! :D im waiting waiting waiting for it to be released in australia. i even ALMOST bought one on ebay, but it was from someone in singapore, and i'm fairly sure if i wired my 800 bucks i'd never see it, nor the phone, again. so i'm just waiting until "late june/early july" to get my grubby little hands on this. some good things:
1. built in camera, addon flash, massive colour screen
2. bluetooth, isync, and works with salling clicker!
3. _much_ faster than the t68i. i think the t68i is quite a good phone, but it's soooo slow it's almost painful..

just my 2 thai baht...

I was thinking about getting a T610 too, have to wait until my contract runs out in a month or so. I had gone off Nokias but someone showed me their 3650 when I was drunk and I remember being impressed. A Symbian phone would be nice, like the P800. Bit chunky though.

Back