Oh no! Disk Error?!

blue gekko

I *heart* Mac
Oh no... I think my 6 year old powerbook is dead! When I turn it on I see the usual grey loading screen with the apple logo watermark. But then nothing happens, and after about a minute the screen goes black and in the top left hand corner it reads "Disk Error".

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? If so I'd LOVE to know how I can fix it. I've just realised I haven't backed up in a few months and there's some important stuff on there that I really can't risk losing!

If anyone has answers, I would appreciate it heaps!
Cheers!

Have you tried booting from the system disks? Even if your hard drive is on its way out (went through two similar situations last year and lived to talk about it) you may be able to at least retrieve your important stuff. Too, if you can get it up and running this way, you may also be able to run first aid/diagnostics on it to determine possible issues.

Okay, it's working now!

I booted from TechTool Pro which came with the Powerbook. Then ran the utilities that comes on it.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Yeah, thanks!!

I actually think my trusty old PowerBook is on its last legs. I reformatted the hard drive and have re-installed most things. Periodically it doesn't start up when you turn it on and the little ball spins on forever until you shut it down and reboot. Normally it restarts on the second try but it occasionally needs a third go. The other night when I had finished my work it wouldn't switch off. Does anyone know if this is all related??

Thanks again for any info and advice.

Back