OH NO!! My pictures are gone :(

Keldud7

Registered
ok...I was messing around with iPhoto (I'll never do it again, I promise!). Yesterday I finally was able to get all my pictures into iPhoto. hooray. TODAY, I get on there and start deleting ones I don't want, which still leaves me with about 450 pics. I went into the folders thru Finder and saw a bunch of numbered ones and so I moved those into a new folder to compile them. Then, I saw that there were thumb and data files that were exactly like the ones I had in there before. So, I deleted one set of the duplicates. And now when I open iPhoto, it tells me that my 450 pics are there, however, only 3 or 4 actually appear, and the rest are just black. What have I done? Is there a way to restore those pictures? Please help! Thanks!

First, never NEVER mess with the photos in the library in Finder -- this will result in just the situattion you have found yourself in. Photos are to be managed by iPhoto and iPhoto alone -- that's its job. As far as getting things back straight, I'm not sure if simply putting things back the way they were originally in finder will do the trick. Or perhaps reimporting the photos from the files you created, or maybe rebuilding the library. I know there are several others on this forum that can advise you better on that than I can. Just don't mess with the finder!

The trash's probably been emptied, you know. My advice can also only be to never mess with iLife libraries in the Finder. They should actually make a container format as for Aperture, so that "iTunes Music" etc. just appear as one file to the user.

So should I get rid of the blank files in iPhoto (all my picture files are in the library somewhere, but there's no data of them, so they are black)? And just start over with adding new pics?
Here is a pic of what my library looks like.
/Users/kelleydudley/Desktop/Picture 1.png

Back