Ok DISSAPOINTED (new ibook)

Click

Registered
Just bought a new Ibook today. Ok so I should be happy veery happy. But I´am not.

First I thought that the Macs are supposed to work just by plugging them in. Dosent the add say "just 10min to get connected."

I realized that my computer came with nothing installed. I really dosent mind so much BUT when I tried to install everything the damn computer hang up on me during the first cd. (Software restore something) After that it just showed me the questionmark and it didnt matter what I tried. The store couldnt help me on the phone. Now I must probably wait about 2weeks to get it right or a new one :(

First I was like a little child at christmas but now I just feel old and grumpy

Umm, thats odd. Macs come with everything installed, you should just have to turn it on and fill in some info and you're running. I've never heard of anyone having to use the Software Restore CD right off the bat. The problem you got with the ? was probably due to the fact that you were reinstalling the OS, and the comp froze in the middle of the install.

I don't know what to tell ya, where did you buy it from?

Um. Here in Europe at least Finland it seems like the macs come without anything preinstalled. I was very suprised but the firm told me that this is how it is. So the software restore are 2 cds with osx and os9 preinstalled. Then when you first turn the ibook on it asks for the software restoredisk.
The computer just copies everything on the disks and voila everything is installed. Everything is preinstalled on the ibook ON CDS :mad:

I am now at the store fixing the ibook (Value added retailer import). It was just some problems with the cds. Got new ones. Now i must install everything from scratch. Myself at the store...

That is strange, I wonder why Europe would be different, in that you have to install you own OS. Well it's good to hear that it was just the CDs that were messed up. Hopefully the rest will setup without any more problems.

... macs certainly come with everything installed over here in germany...
sounds like you're being ripped off somehow. :confused:
at least the guys at the store ought to install stuff for you. weird.

I bought an iBook500 on Sep.2001 in one of the best Mac stores in Lisbon. Mine also didn't have anything installed and it just asked for the Software Restore CDs when it was turned on.

But I thought this was a special case. I had called the guy at the store in the morning and picked the machine up in the afternoon that very same day. The guy said that he hadn't prepared the iBook yet for being delivered to a customer and asked if I wanted him to install everything. I said I would manage on myself, given I already had a lot of mac experience.

Maybe the official retailers are supposed to install everything themselves before they deliver the machines to their customers. It would save Apple a lot of time on production line.

I've got my TiBook last summer with everything pre-installed.
But with no OSX.
Someone at work got his ibook at the same time as i got my TiBook and when he turned the computer on the first time, the computer asked for the cd's as you discribe.
And he has OS9 and OSX installed.

So here in Holland also happens strange things

:confused: :(

....i just bought my ibook 600mhz, combo drive last friday, 23 feb 2002 and nothing has been installed as well. i got 4 cds plus two OS (9 and X) which i used to install everything after i got the book.

...i had no problems installing though...each cd lasting about 10 minutes to setup...and after that, voila....everything was running good!

...anyways, i am here in singapore. i just hope things are running okay with u right now...

;)

I was thinking, and I bet that the reason why Apple doesn't ship the computers to international resellers with software pre-installed, is because of language issues. They probably just let you install your own software so you can pick your own language instead of wasting the time installing the OS, then shipping only to have you pick a new language?

ERmm... maybe that doesn't make sense. I dunno, it's still weird.

Also from Portugal:

Pavao posted saying his ibook came empty. Mine came with everything installed (september 2001). I thought they all came with everything, even in europe...

Paulo

Strange. Here in Spain all Macs come with pre-installed software... Never heard of such a thing (coming out empty).

dani++

Originally posted by sithious
... macs certainly come with everything installed over here in germany...
sounds like you're being ripped off somehow. :confused:
at least the guys at the store ought to install stuff for you. weird.
I had to install some Macs last year in Germany, and they wanted this restore CD on first boot.
The nice thing was: There wasn't any restore CD inside the package! :mad:
That was really nice of Apple. Fortunatly, there was a Mac OS 9 CD inside on package. I had to format the hard disks and install Mac OS 9 from scratch.

Now, if I think of what a guy who buys his first Mac would have done...

If I buy a Dell or a Compaq, I get the OS preinstalled.
Really nice doing, Apple... :rolleyes:

Back