Old and new Mac

powermac

iMac Dual 2.0 17'
I have a New G4 via airport. I have an older PowerMac that obviously doesn't have Airport. Can I hook the older mac to my Ethernet connection (new mac) an allow the older mac to access the web or at least network together?

Thanks. Just a curious question.

Ethernet hub, Cat 5 cables from computers to hub, and file sharing turned on.

there is a trick to an older OS and OS X.

I have a New G4 via airport.

Which airport base station do you own? Graphite? Snow? Airport Extreme? if Snow or Airport Extreme, your ABS comes with an ethernet jack for you to connect an additional computer. Plug your old mac to that ethernet jack. You'll then have internet access and would also be able to network the computers.

If you just want to network two Macs, just connect the two with a crossover cable; negating the need for a hub.

Also, in 10.2.x you don't need a router to share an internet connection. Just go to Sharing in System Preferences, click the internet tab, and click start to turn on internet sharing. In the TCP/IP settings of the other Mac, choose DHCP.

Also, in 10.2.x you don't need a router to share an internet connection.

But the new mac would have to be on in order for the older mac to get the internet connection, no?

Note also: If using highspeed internet access (DSL, Cable) your modem will useually use your ethernet plug, and you would need a hub, and router to use the connection. Powermac whats the type of connection that your trying to share?

Note also: If using highspeed internet access (DSL, Cable) your modem will useually use your ethernet plug, and you would need a hub, and router to use the connection.

You do know that the Snow and Extreme airport base stations come with a LAN and WAN port? (Both are "ethernet plug".) Connect broadband modem to one, and connect a computer to the other. That way, you have two computers connected to the net: one wired, and one wireless. Assuming that you've got an airport card in one of the computers...

Back