Old G3 won't talk to old printer

Arden

Where mah "any" keys at?
Hi guys, I'm trying to get our ancient beige Power Mac G3 to talk to an even older Personal LaserWriter NTR so I can give it to a yet older friend. Unfortunately, while almost everything else works on the computer (amazingly), I can't get the printer to show up in any AppleTalk zones. I thought it might have been a cable issue, so I got a new Localtalk cable, and it's still not working. Anybody have any ideas?

It won't show up in an AppleTalk zone. That's for ethernet.

Even the earliest G3 lacks a LocalTalk port. What are you trying
to plug the LocalTalk line into?

The G3 and the NTR have serial ports. Try connecting that way.

It won't show up in an AppleTalk zone. That's for ethernet.

Even the earliest G3 lacks a LocalTalk port. What are you trying
to plug the LocalTalk line into?

The G3 and the NTR have serial ports. Try connecting that way.

If you use the serial port, you also need to choose the function of the serial port (serial port or network - localtalk maybe, so long ago i use that). There is a control panel for that (maybe network telling which serial port to use). I though AppleTalk should work as using the localtalk option creates a network and AppleTalk is for network printers (not specific ethernet as i am sure i used it with coax networks too).

Good luck, Kees

Depending on the OS version and exactly what port/cable you are using will determine how to get it to show up on your printer list.

Not true. The beige G3 has both LocalTalk and DIN-8 serial ports.

I sit corrected, Me. I relied on MacTracker, which lists "2 serial ports."

I just looked at the G3 manual from Apple's site and the ports are as
you describe. I dropped Ian a note about that little bit of confusion on
my part.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I guess I forgot to set it to notify me, so I just now saw them. :)

The G3 is running 9.2. It has one serial port because it has a built-in modem, though I thought the serial port WAS Localtalk. It's an 8-pin, round serial cable. When I click on the LaserWriter 8 icon in Chooser, nothing shows up (and yes, the printer is on). I can't get it to recognize the AppleTalk zone in the AppleTalk control panel, either.

Look at the bottom of the Chooser. Is Appletalk active?

Try this:
As you click on the chooser hold down the option and Apple keys.
Continue to hold down those keys while you release the mouse button on Chooser and continue to hold down those keys until you hear the alert sound.
Now release the keys and the Chooser should come up.

Now select the printer and make sure AppleTalk is active.

Did you shut down the computer before plugging in the serial cable?

Shut everything down, then start up the G3, then printer. See if it comes up now.

I trust you have the modem in the bottom (serial) port. The
upper port can be either serial or localtalk. The bottom cannot
be used for localtalk.

Well, there's only one serial port (with a printer icon) because the modem is built-in. The printer is plugged into that port with the 8-pin serial cable.

Cheryl: I'll try your suggestion and get back to you guys.

In the face of Bobw's passing, this whole issue suddenly seems superfluous, but I guess it still needs to be taken care of.

I held down command and option when I pulled down the Chooser, and it beeped at me. When I select LaserWriter 8, it still doesn't show anything. AppleTalk is active, but I can't manage to find or create a desktop printer icon for the printer. There's a serial port switcher on the back of the printer; would changing this possibly have any effect?

Also, when I run the Desktop Printer Utility program, I get two icons: the PPD file (currently set to Generic) and the printer selection (currently set to <<unspecified>>. If I try to change the printer selection, nothing shows up at all. I'm really not sure what to do at this point... everything is hooked up and should be working, but it just isn't. When I reinstalled the OS (it's 9.2.1 right now, to clarify my previous post), I thought it would install a desktop printer icon, but no such luck apparently...

Edit: I would have installed 9.2.2 but I couldn't get it to run due to deep-set disk corruption. I had a hard enough time upgrading to 9.2.1 as it was. Shouldn't really make a difference though.

Arden,

Take off the Serial Port Switcher. Connect the printer direct to the G3.

Go to Extensions Manager and check to see that Desktop Printer is active.

With a disk corruption, you maybe dancing with corrupt files. You can try using a third party utility to repair the disk, or completely erase the drive and install fresh.

9.2.2 is recommended for installation if you are using OS X. So don't worry about installing it.

Take off the Serial Port Switcher. Connect the printer direct to the G3.

Ha, no, you misunderstand. The PRINTER has a serial port switcher, built right in. The two devices are connected directly. Should I try changing it? It's currently on 2, but I don't know which port the printer port on the computer is on.

Go to Extensions Manager and check to see that Desktop Printer is active.

It is, or should be at least.

With a disk corruption, you maybe dancing with corrupt files. You can try using a third party utility to repair the disk, or completely erase the drive and install fresh.

9.2.2 is recommended for installation if you are using OS X. So don't worry about installing it.

Yeah, I'm aware of this... I did a wipe and reinstall, but the disk problems are deep-set enough that doing so can't fix it. For the most part it works, but there are some problems such as mounting images, which is why I couldn't get 9.2.2 to install. Mac OS X is not intended for this machine, so it's not critical.

Ha, no, you misunderstand. The PRINTER has a serial port switcher, built right in. The two devices are connected directly. Should I try changing it? It's currently on 2, but I don't know which port the printer port on the computer is on.

Try switching it. It is worth a shot. (It has been a while since I worked with those printers.)

With a wipe and install, you really shouldn't have a problem .... unless there is something wrong with the printer.

Are you using a serial cable or localtalk set up? The local talk set up has an adapter with a short serial cable. You need one for each device (printer & computer) and those adapters use what looks like a phone cable between them. Like this:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
Try switching it. It is worth a shot. (It has been a while since I worked with those printers.)

Okay, I shall do that and get back to you.

With a wipe and install, you really shouldn't have a problem .... unless there is something wrong with the printer.

There's nothing wrong with the printer as far as I know. It's worked almost flawlessly for many years, and it would work now if the software were working properly.

Are you using a serial cable or localtalk set up? The local talk set up has an adapter with a short serial cable. You need one for each device (printer & computer) and those adapters use what looks like a phone cable between them. Like this:

Definitely a serial cable, then. Not using any adaptors or anything.

Back