Old iBook to new iBook

Kiwi Mike

Registered
Hi all
I am about to recieve my new iBook and want transfer "all" my files and programs to the new iBook...

Any advice or stickies on this would be appreciated Cheers and Beers :D

Are you gonna make the transfer of files through CDs? If you don't have much data, that would work.

Another option is getting a firewire cable (6 to 6 pin) for about 20 bucks and transferring the data using Target Disk mode. Its faster.

For your new iBook, consider partitioning its hard drive. I partition my hard disk into three sections. One partition holds panther, another holds my user folder, and the third partition is where I place files that are neither part of the operating system nor personal stuff. I do it this way so that I can do a fresh/clean install/reinstall of the operating system when needed. I suspect this will bring me problems in the future, though... (a newly installed OS not recognizing the user partition as the user's home directory... making files inaccessible?)

i just recently bought an iBook over the internet, its AWESOME, but the only problem that came with is, was the Log In . i didnt recieve the pass word to log into the admin , so the way i have to get to the OS X is by holding "option" when restarting, HOW can u take off that? anyway?

Don't partition. It's silly and unneeded.
You'll have both iBooks on hand? Either use a firewire cable and transfer files that way, or if you have AirPort, you can create a wireless network.
I'd recommend setting the new iBook up first, get all your software updates, then copy stuff over (check Carbon Copy Cloner, very helpful software). And don't forget to repair permissions following.

Randman said:
Don't partition. It's silly and unneeded.
You'll have both iBooks on hand? Either use a firewire cable and transfer files that way, or if you have AirPort, you can create a wireless network.
I'd recommend setting the new iBook up first, get all your software updates, then copy stuff over (check Carbon Copy Cloner, very helpful software). And don't forget to repair permissions following.

Thanks Randman will follow your tips they have always been great in the past ! ;)

deedsoftommy said:
i just recently bought an iBook over the internet, its AWESOME, but the only problem that came with is, was the Log In . i didnt recieve the pass word to log into the admin , so the way i have to get to the OS X is by holding "option" when restarting, HOW can u take off that? anyway?

This works for me in Panther:

Try starting your computer from the CD that installs the operating system. Insert CD. Let it load. Restart holding the "C" key. Once it's all booted up and running off the CD, go to the menubar and look for "change administrator password" or something to that effect.

Dusky said:
Care to elaborate?

All you have to do is search, either in this forum or just about any other Mac-related forum and you'll find plenty of comment about it.

Basically, there's almost no reason to partition in OSX. It was helpful in pre-X days and so many peecee users have it ingrained into them. Unless you're a developer, or have specific needs, a partition is something you don't need.

But let's narrow it down and go over your first comments.

Dusky said:
I partition my hard disk into three sections. One partition holds panther, another holds my user folder, and the third partition is where I place files that are neither part of the operating system nor personal stuff. I do it this way so that I can do a fresh/clean install/reinstall of the operating system when needed. I suspect this will bring me problems in the future, though... (a newly installed OS not recognizing the user partition as the user's home directory... making files inaccessible?)

Unless you have scads of hard drive space, why limit yourself? Adjusting partitions isn't like in Windoze. And tell me what the advantages of keeping files in different places accomplishes? A folder will do the same thing.
If you're worried about corruption, create a new user with admin rights and only log in to that account if you suspect a problem. That'll determine if the problem is software- or hardware-related.
Repairing permissions is a must-do in OSX. And you have the potential for greater problems with partitioning than just keeping things on one drive and keeping partitions up-to-date.

You even admit that you could face problems in the future with the structure you have. And if you really want to do a clean install, you could just copy from a CD or DVD or external hard drive after the clean install. And if you don't have a backup in one of those media, you're really taking a chance because a hard-drive failure (or theft in a laptop) will not be deterred by a partition.

So, let's see. I have a G4 iBook, 60GB hard drive, with about 57.5GB of it usable. Why not take advantage of the entire hard drive. And if you need extra security, create an encrypted disk and store files/documents in there.

Maybe you're a developer or you have special needs and require partitions. And if so, that's fine. And maybe you're so used to it from a PC background (or you just jumped to OSX) and you're used to it.
But if you check around a little, you'll find plenty of advantages to NOT having multiple partitions on a hard drive.
And if you want, I'll be happy to locate scads of information on it for you.

Care to elaborate? If not...

Do partition. It's silly not to.

No, really, elaborate. Let me learn from you. I've learned so far from you that a person can belittle another person's ideas without much of an explanation. I didn't think that's how things work around here.
I'm a big boy and can handle a difference of opinion so no need to edit your posts if that's how you feel.

On a side note, while I'm a Yank, my family (both mother and father's side) hail from around where you live.

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43594&highlight=partition

A good quote from Salvo (and others in the thread)...

Since MacOS X Mounts all non-boot Volumes in the /Volume Folder of the filesystem it makes more sense to keep everything on the same Partition.
MacOS X uses a very specific Filesystem structure, and doesn't easily permit you to mount Volumes in those specific Folders.
Traditional Unix Systems would provide the ability to Mount Volumes wherever you liked in the filesystem; /boot could be a tiny partition at the start of the Physical Drive (so the OS would boot quicker), followed by the SWAP Partition (MacOS X uses a Swap File, and doesn't need a separate Partition) and then the /, /usr and /home Partitions.
If User Directories were stored on a separate Machine, the whole /home partition could be mounted over the network. If a Particular User wanted to use an Account on their Personal Workstation, the SysOp could mount their remote Volume locally in the /home Partition.
You could end up with;
/ (local)
/boot (local machine specific)
/usr (local or over the network, not machine specific, could be shared by all machines)
/home (local, off a local RAID array or over the network, not machine specific)
/home/dan (local, over the network from a different computer or off a portable Storage Device)
The location and access controls of Mounts was controlled by the SysOp through the /etc/fstab configuration file. Desktop Linux users still have to edit this file by hand.

MacOS X users can still edit the fstab file by hand, but MacOS X usually automatically mounts all non-boot volumes in the /Volumes folder.

Also, since MacOS X uses Filesystem Resources to Index (for Finder Searches), store Aliases and locate File Handlers, it's probably better to keep everything in the same Partition.

As you also might know, from your Windows Experiences, some Programs don't run properly when installed on a Partition other than the boot Partition, or on a different Partition to the OS.

I'm a big boy and can handle a difference of opinion so no need to edit your posts if that's how you feel.

I edited while (as far as I knew) there had been no replies yet.

A shower does wonders. I came out of it thinking, "What the hell be rude for?" so I removed most words and left enough to invite an elaborate response from you. I got it. Thanks.

Hi guys I just want ideas on how to get files from my old iBook to new one man some of the comments going back and forth and strange to say the least !! :D

Back