Old Mac 8500/120...........Upgrades???

NickBurns

Mac Abuser
Hey guys i aked this a long time ago, and tried to search, but couldnt find it...

Is there anything i can do to this thing to speed it up?? RAM, Processor, Hard drive?? Ect??? Mainly for internet is what i need...

I guess only mods that dont cost more than its worth....LOL

Thanks again,

Thaks for the reply,

I went to the processor link, and are all those options for the 8500???

Forgive me, i know nothing about this older stuff....

Maybe you could give me your opinions on wich processor would be best, as far as performance and price???

Thanks again

Should i go for a G4 processor?? I mean, Im not gonna spend $395 for the 800mhz, but the G4 400 w/ 1024k backside cache is $179....

Will i notice a huge difference>???? Will it be as fast as my G4 400?? I wouldnt think so, but what do i know.....LOL

Will a slower G4 be faster than a faster G3???

Sorry for so many questions.....

Thanks for any help guys,
:D

The G4 will definitely be faster than a G3 upgrade. Just depends on how much you want to spend. You would notice a very nice speed increase with the G4/400Mhz.

Thanks,

Do you know anything about Sonnet Crescendo??

Im leaning towards the G4 4oo i mentioned...Really im just trying to make this computer fast enough w/ cable modem, for my girlfriend not too bitch anymore, when Im on my G4........LOL

(not that i could ever make it fast enough)....:D

Peace,

Trash the 8500. It was the most difficult machine in Apple's "tower" line to even take apart. You had to disassemble almost the entire unit just to add RAM.

When you're done, you'll still have a dog. You'd be better off buying an eMac like this one:

http://dealmac.com/articles/52543.html

The 8500 will always be throttled by its motherboard bus speed. You'll never have real compatibility with modern apps.

Bottom line: You're tossing your money down the crapper.

(sorry)

Thanks for the opinion....I got this Mac fo free....And my girlfriend likes to cruise the net. So i was just researching any options...

Thanks guys....Any more opinions???

Back