Old Mac And Powerbook G4 Networking Issue

heartsounds

Registered
I am really struggling trying to connect the two macs I use in a studio. The older mac is a quad 800 that operates on OS7.6.1 ( and i have recently installed a TCP/IP program -- just not sure it is working since it dose not have a ping test ). I also have a powerbook G4 that operates on OS10.4.1. I am trying to establish an ethernet connection which now goes through an ethernet hub. At one point in time I got a message about an incompatable AFP protocol when i tried to establish a connection from the powerbook to the quad. I tried giving static IP addresses, along with deactivating appletalk on the G4.

I am a novice at mac computers -- so if there are any instructions, please be as specific as possible...thanks

Apple has changed file sharing enough that you can only connect FROM the 7.6.1 computer, and you may need to enter the IP address of the server after clicking Appleshare in Chooser.

Do you have a router or just a hub?
Are both computers manually configured with IP addresses in the local ranges - 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x ?

Back