Old Mac with USB 1 and iPod?

karavite

Registered
Dumb question - have an old Mac that does not have USB 2. Do I need to get a USB 2 card to use an iPod Classic or can I use Firewire? If I can use Firewire, that's great, but why am I not seeing this listed anywhere (clearly).

Thanks!

It usually does work, just slower.
As long as the iPod model supports the iTunes version (which also your OS supports).

None of the current iPods have firewire support. Supposedly this was to make them slimmer. You can still charge with a firewire cable, but it will not sync.

You can use USB 1.1 with the new iPods, it is just slower.

I have hooked up my ipod (5th gen, video) to one of the lampshade imacs (g4/700) that has the built in 1.1 ports and it worked just fine. it is currently on X.4.10 with itunes 7.5.

Thanks! Any recommendations for a good USB 2 card? They all seem cheap, but have read of problems here and there. Maybe I should post on hardware?

A USB 2.0 PCI card is what you need. Best bet is any card with a NEC PD720100 or PD720101 chipset (xlr8yourmac results recommend the same). Read this for more feedback:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/firewire/fw_usb_card_deep_sleep.html
Stick with the NEC chip, and try NOT to use drivers, Tiger doesn't need the drivers.

All of these Cards are NEC chipset based
Adaptec 3100LP
BAFO BF-460
Belkin F5U220
GWC UC-160
IOGear GIC250U & IC251U
Keyspan U2PCI-5
O'toLink U2-C2A, U2-C2B, U2-P20N & U2-P50
Ratoc PCIU5
USBWholesale UII-PCIP

I just bought a used IOGear GIC251U & installed it in my G4 400MHz AGP. Works at USB 1.1 speed when I'm booted in OS 9.2.2 & USB 2.0 when booted in OS X.

Cheers, Tom

My sister has an eMac with USB 1 and syncs her iPod video fine. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to do the initial sync (hours, depending on how big your iTunes library is), but after that it doesn't take very long, as it's just updating the songs or Podcasts added since the last time it was connected. Unless you're adding gigabytes of stuff to your iTunes on a daily basis, USB 1 will be adequate.

If it's an old mac it may not be worth it (or even possible) to install a USB 2 card. as icemanjc suggests, before you buy anything post your system specs -- would hate for you to buy something you can't use.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks Texas Mac Man for the excellent recommendations and information on the NEC chipset cards (I bought the IOgear just now online). I have a Mac G4 DP 1 GHZ that is the workhorse in the house and has over a terrabyte of storage. I have used it for transferring family movies (8 and super 8 mm) to digital and the new USB 2.0 card will be handy for a new scanner as well (to archive photos). I have a new Mac Book for work and I would rather use the home machine for all my iTunes files and with the iPod.

Got the IOgear and it works great in my old G4 DP 1 GHZ.. Others may work fine, but here is one you can bank on. Thanks Texas Mac Man!

have a similar situation as karavite ..... i have a g4 700mhz and a g3 600mhz each running 10.4.11 and about to update itunes to 7.6.whatever. both have usb 1's not 2's Now i want to buy an 80 gig ipod classic. slow doesn't bother me the initial sync i'll do overnite BUT WILL IT WORK one apple store says no another say maybe this is my first question on this forum. (i'm so old i got suspended from high school for listening to the world series on a transistor radio the big new invention of the day) oh my wife's 30 gig does just fine wanna get the 80 gig for my son for his 18th birthday. can't stand to waste money.

Back