Older PowerPC G3......?

NickBurns

Mac Abuser
Hey guys,

I got another older PowerPC Mac G3 yesterday for $5. I got it for my girlfriend so she can surf the net...

-233mhz
-4 gig hd
-161 RAM
-512k cache
-24x cd ROM

Its got a usb card in it. And Im not sure of the video card..

Is this computer upgradable?? If so, what are some good mods??

I know this thing is a dinasour, but i like old Macs..

Especially ones that cost $5.....

Any help appreciated...Thanks

Looking at the specs I'm guessing it is this one:
pmg3_desktop.jpg

...unless it is an "all in one";
pmg3_aio.jpg

Go over to xlr8yourmac.com to figure out what you can do with these.

There isnt any other #'s on it. I got the info from the system profiler...?

Its not the tower, but the sideways tower..Has a floppy also..

Thanks guys,

You probably have the beige G3 which came out right before apple included USB ports.
Now is it a box, a tower or the all in one (monitor in the case with the hard drive, etc)

It's a beige G3 Desktop. You can run up to 768 MB of RAM, add a firewire card, upgrade your hard drive, replace the 24x CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM(only if you add an upgraded video card) or CD-RW and pop in an upgraded ZIF (www.otherworldcomputing.com has a list of compatible ZIFs).

I ran 10.2.4 on mine (Beige G3/300, 768 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive, iXMicro 8MB video card-already had 6MB on the board, firewire & USB 2.0, CD-RW) with no trouble at all. I also overclocked it from 300 to 366 MHz with no trouble. They're pretty flexible and upgradeable.

thanks a lot for that info GraphicUmp...

I was afraid to install OsX on this machine...LOL Maybe after some upgrades...hehe

NickBurns -

There are also ZIFs available on eBay that are usually cheaper than on otherworldcomputing.com, like a 266, 300 or 350 MHz. I've also gotten RAM from eBay. You just have to make sure you get the low-profile PC66 or PC100 DIMMs - regular PC66 or PC100 DIMMs are too tall and the case won't close.

PC Microstore has a 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card (works as a 2.0 in OS X, 1.1 in OS 9) for $9: USB 2.0 PCI Card

And I have the iXMicro 8 MB PCI video card that came as a build-to-order option in my Beige - PM me if you're interested.

Back