OMG just how bad does Tiger have to get before we give up on it?

Lt Major Burns said:
My Mighty mouse driver works fine, and this is the first i've heard anything faulty with it. perhaps, therefore you have a faulty mighty mouse.

I don't think so because it works fine in 10.4.2

chevy said:
About the Lexmark problem.

I had an issue with my Lexmark X73 that was taking significant CPU time, and I found it was related to the monitor part of the Lexmark software. I disabled it (see my other post about that issue) and now MacOS behaves ok again, the my X73 cannot be used as a push-button copier anymore.

I think the Lexmark issue is irrelevant so i shouldn't really have included that; haven't been able to uncompress the driver on any operating system, Mac, windows or Linux

DeltaMac said:
I hear your frustration -
1. You don't need to go through some involved upgrade process (10.0-10.1-10.2, etc.) to install Tiger after erasing your drive, just install Tiger. I prefer to simplify, rather than add complications to the whole install process, if it is possible. If you wish to follow Occam, then keep the solution simple. Erase, install Tiger, upgrade to 10.4.5 - and don't install the Mighty Mouse software, the upgrade will include that for you.

No i know, i just chose to do it that way, as I had already tried a straight install...

Off topic: the spelling correction of Ockham was not really necessary; Occam's razor is an alternative latin spelling of Ockham. It was William of Ockham, an english theologian who first devised the simple logical process known to more modern philosophers as the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid. As Ockham is the correct anglo-saxon spelling of the village of Ockham in Surrey where William originated, it seems to me to be the more correct form. Apologies for that brief diversion!;)

powermac said:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. To bring this discussion back to your problem, which is why you posted to begin with. As people have posted, they too have the Mighty Mouse, with varies configurations on different hard ware. They are not experiencing any trouble. It appears the problem is isolated to your computer and situation. Try some of the solutions people have offered. Unless a hardware issue is present, we all can get your system working fine.

I don't think it's a hardware issue; as i have pointed out, the mouse works fine in 10.4.2.

Perhaps some of the changes Apple have made (or "improvements" as they like to call them) have affected the way in which the OS detects devices connected through a USB hub. I have a basic hub which serves my printer and scanner; no problems there. The mouse is connected via the keyboard's hub as the mighty mouse's cord is too short to stretch around the back of my iMac without straining. By way of an experiment however, I have just connected the mouse to a port on the back of the machine to see if the OS picks it up when i switch on. I'll let you know if that works. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it there withoout completely reorganising my desk (so Apple will still indirectly be dictating the way i work instead of allowing me the choice...)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Follow-up

Yes it is as I thought. Even with the mouse plugged into a main USB port on the back of the machine, it isn't picked up by the OS until it's unplugged and reconnected.

Scratch that idea then...

In your case, it really sounds like some obscure Tiger bugs are causing you some grief. I will say that I have had problems with CDs not unmounting. And I wasn't able to find any apps that were holding them. On at least two occasions I have had to reboot to get the CDs out.

So what about reverting to 10.3.9? Is that an option? Does the Mighty Mouse work with .3.9? Of, if not, what about reverting to 10.4.2 or whatever point release will allow your mouse to work correctly?

Doug

MM works with 3.9, but you lose most of the really cool functions like horizontal scrolling and application switching from the ball-button.

The bugs are annoying but not enough to make me give up on it. It just irritates me that the whole thing seems so unfinished. It's not what i expect from a Mac. Reverting to 10.4.2 is certainly an option; it's what I did before but I'd rather try and crack this particular nut.

I think that the problem with the flash drive is something to do with Apple Works; I've had this problem before (Norton auto-protect used to be an obstacle to unmounting 'til I got rid of it) but holding the command key down while selecting "Eject" from the menu usually did it. This time nothing works, i just have to unplug it and get told off for not ejecting it first.

The problem I have with the mouse is similar to a problem i had with my keyboard after a Jaguar update when I had to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in after restarting in order to get it to see the keyboard, but this didn't happen every time, it was intermittent and disappeared when I upgraded to Panther, since then no problems, until now...

Back