Omg!!!!

ERICBRIAN2002

Registered
I opened virtual pc to check if there was a speed diff between regular macosx and win 2000 under VPC. Under virtual pc i got a dl speed of 314kb/sec under osx using IE i get 88kb/sec wtf?Check your speed and post it at www.ba-hss.com

Well, I don't have VPC, but are you sure you tried downloading the same thing from the same place around the same time in both OSX and Windows? Speeds vary all the time when you have a broadband connection-- it's not always your end when you have a fatter pipe, it's usually the other side that is slower or faster.

To make sure, try downloading the same file in both environments one right after the other (but not at the same time, because that will affect your results) -- also make sure you're not running any other network/internet stuff at the same time.

You may be right about the speed difference (I honestly don't know) but make sure you do a good test of it.

Have you tried other sites to test your connection. I get 1441 KBits/s when usually I'm around 2000 on other sites. There is also a hack to OS X to speed up your broadband connection. You can find it somewhere on this site, it involves some terminal commands so if your not that hot on that there is also an app. you can dl.

I have cable, and I usually get around 150K per second under OS X, although sometimes it speeds up all the way to 384 K per second, the theoretical maximum I can get. Long live broadband. :p

I've heard that it's possible to get past the standard 53.3 kilobits on modems, due to these speed bursts.

Actually the numbers you get in IE on OSX are in KBs not Kbs. If it really is Kbs on Win 2000 then divide by 8. It will make more sense.

I haven't tried downloading anything with VPC yet, mainly because doing anything in it craaaaawls on my 350MHz iMac.
But my OS X dl speeds with cable modem are superb when conditions are good. I've hit an average speed of over 700k/sec.
:D

Back