Omni Page Pro for OS X

Wafa

Registered
Could anyone who is currently using Omni Page Pro for OS X provide some insight on his experience and the type of scanners supported by the software?

Since Mac OS X doesn't officially support any scanners without the use of 3rd party software, I'd have to say none. For now I guess you are supposed to scan in 9.x (I don't think you can even scan in classic can you, I haven't tried) and then import the file (I assume twain or similar) for OCR. If you look carefully at the ad, they are very vocal about the ability to convert pdf files to readable text but there is little information about scanning in OS X. The manual is pretty silent on the subject too. My guess is that scanning is on the list for future OS X updates and the input scanned format will be pdf-like (to be compatible with document reader). If that's the case, Omni Page will be ready. My understanding is that Adobe is complaining that without scanning ability the functionality of Photoshop and similar programs will be limited. They even say as much on their OS X compatibility page. Still, I bought the upgrade and stand ready. Don't forget, Omni Page is also Mac OS 9.x compatible.
-Chet

hey wafa. i haven't used it but i almost bought it at MWSF. It is supposed to work in osx and they told me that my scanner is compatible in osx so i guess my suggestion would be to email them and see what they say. Now the version i was looking at was specifically an update for osx and cost $150 or more. but any version of their previous software counts, even the one that came with your scanner. I questioned them about how umax couldn't even make the scanner work in osx and they were very adament that omnipage pro would work anyway.

but you and i both know what developers' claims can be like, eh?;)

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
I questioned them about how umax couldn't even make the scanner work in osx and they were very adament that omnipage pro would work anyway.

but you and i both know what developers' claims can be like, eh?;)

hi Ed, I just had a look at OmniPage pro and was surprised to find in the operating manual :

"Before you can select a scanner in OmniPage Pro X, its driver must already be installed on your system. It should also be tested, to be sure it is working properly with the scanning software supplied by its manufacturer. Consult the documentation supplied with your scanner."

Under such circumstances I don't think I can have much use for it at the present time for the simple reason that I have a HP ScanJet 6300 C for which no driver has been as yet developed for OS X. HP promised that drivers will be it available for this type of scanner model during spring this year; until then I have to wait with any purchase of OmniPage pro.

I'm using the OS X version of OmniPage Pro, and it runs just fine with my Microtek ScanMaker 4800--all I had to do was to check a box in the Scanner setup section of Preferences that says "Scan in Classic Mode" and choose the first of the several options listed. (I did make sure to choose the OS X OmniPage Pro version as the default OCR program when I installed the drivers in OS 9.)

BTW--you probably won't believe this--but so far, the accuracy rate for scanning single-column, multi-column, etc. documents has been 100%. That's ONE HUNDRED PER CENT!!! Not bad!:D

I'm looking forward to being able to use OmniPage Pro without having to start up Classic, but as mentioned, it's going to be a matter of when (if ever) Epson releases an OS X driver for my Perfection 1200U scanner.
:eek:

Back