OmniWeb 4.1sp21

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
I'd just like to say that OmniWeb 4.1 is actually starting to get up to speed (literally) with Internet Explorer. In the 4.1sp1x builds, OW was WAY WAY WAY too slow to browse MacOSX.com -- I almost always used Internet Explorer. Now it seems to be pretty snappy compared with its previous speed, and I think I might be able to actually use OW full time! Go OmniGroup! I just can't wait to see OmniWeb 5. :D

Oh, I jut checked, and now the nomenclature is up to beta status. :D Damn, OmniGroup has been releasing an updated sneakypeek/beta every day now!

Is this the same as 4.1b1 ? Or is there a sneakypeak that is further along than that?

Apparently OW 4.1 is past sneakypeek, and is now into beta status, so 4.1b1 is the latest version of OW 4.1. If you look in the "About OmniWeb..." menu option, you'll also see a 3-digit version number in parentheses... you can use that to determine absolutely which sneakypeek/beta build is farther along than another, and sp21 is version 330, while b1 is version 332.

I use OmniWeb 4.0.6. How do I get 4.1 ? I don't see it on their web site.

Is there some way to hack out the plugin that netscape for osX uses to display iframes so that I can FORCE omniweb to display iframes at all?

Or must I wait and pray that the developers pull their thumbs out of their keisters and support what is a friggen webstandard now, regardless that it was developend initially by microsoft.

Omniweb may display web pages of a quality far and above its competitors but making it practically impossible to visit sites run by the design industry, that DO support web standards, is a fucking trial.

iframes PLEEEEASE

It doesn't depend on what I like or not, iFrames are a great invention, but fact is that Netscape 4.7 and IE 5.0 is webstandard at the moment, these are the browsers which appear most in server logs, independant in which country you live. An now show me iFrames in Netscape 4.7!!!

The beta will appear on the normal OmniWeb site when testers find less bugs than in the earlier sneakypeeks. Beta 1 is the newest build at the moment. You can check the dates and the build number.

Don't expect 4.1 to support much more sites than 4.0. It has some new features and you'll find them in the ReadMe files once it'll be released. Version 5 will sport a completely new rendering engine. Join the OmniWeb mailing list for more info from OmniGroup, if you're interested in the development of this wonderful browser.

IFrames are not supported at the moment, but as they're mostly used for ads, I couldn't care less.

www.webstandards.org

True I've seen iframes used for advertisements, but I've also seen them used for handy news frames. They are far easier to use and update than setting up a page with html frames which can achieve similar but less effective results.

http://www.surfstation.lu
http://www.designiskinky.net/index_main.html

I understand 4.1 is in beta and its coming along brilliantly, for a practically free browser its great, and I can't expect it to support every popular plugin out there right now, I just really miss iframes and will buy two OW licenses the day it does support them.

Of course OmniWeb must support IFrames at some point. This might be covered with the new rendering engine for 5.0 already. I don't know.

The problem at the moment is that there are several 'features' a browser could have that OW doesn't yet cover. Full CSS 1 & 2 support is high on *my* list as a webdesigner. Others have other wishes.

The great thing about this company (OmniGroup) is, that you can talk to them *AND* get an answer. :)

As I've already said: Join the omniweb-mailing list, if you want to a) help OW becoming the best browser and b) want to hear about why things are like they are and when they're going to be different if at all. :)

I don't know about iFrame. For me, the main limitation is Java. I don't know how far we are from the standard, and if web site respect the standard, but I cannot use several features of sites like www.caramail.com (one of the most used French site) or www.klm.com (the dutch company).

Since Microsoft decided to drop Java in IE 6 and WinXP, the fate of Java at the moment is unknown. If Microsoft's grip on the software market is as strong as most fear, Java will become a Linux - or let's say - non-Windows thing, and won't be a standard any longer. For me, webstandard is not what some organisation like the W3C says, webstandard is what most people can view, and as sad as it is, IE 5 and Netscape 4.7 are still common. I hate it that you can't use iFrames on a site that is designed for a major audience! I hate it not to use transparent layers because Netscape can't do them. Fact is, commercial sites like web portals, company sites etc. have to stick to what their audience can view, and soon, Java will be something the "standard visitor" can't view! Take a look at the released site statistics of well known sites! You will cry when you see how many peoplen still use old browsers. I don't wanna start a war here what "webstandard" means, sure there has to be a standard for the development of future browsers. Back to Java, most people stay away from Flash 5 because the user has to install it (till IE 5.5 IIRC only Flash 4 is preinstalled)! And seriously, Flash installation is easy! Now tell those people who are happy that they are able to turn their computer on that they now have to install a Java runtime!!! Wohoo, Microsoft, that's the way to go!!!

oh, fryke, just saw you sig! Is that an ADC flatpanel? If so, how did you connect it? I saw some PCMCIA adapters which should do the job! A friend of mine wants to a buy a Apple Studio Display for his TiBook but didn't knew how to connect it! Any help is appreciated ;)

originally posted by fryke
The great thing about this company (OmniGroup) is, that you can talk to them *AND* get an answer.

now i'm going to sound like herve complaining that samantha fox doesn't write him back, but they have never replied to my emails and still haven't fixed my complaint. Can i have your supersecret password so they will talk with me? or shoud i just include your name in my note so they will know it is important?:D

I never talked to them on OmniWeb but I had a nice mail conversation with one of their developers when they released the first OS X port of Quake 3 ;)

hehe :) just use the omniweb mailing list. if you post something there, not only you'll get a TON of answers by other users (sarcasm), if your request or your question is important, one or the other OmniGroup member will answer. Ken and Brian (you'll get to know them) are quite active on the list.

No, it's not an Apple 17" TFT display. I went to an electronics store here in Switzerland some three weeks ago, and what did I have to see? A 17" TFT for 999 CHF, that's around 600 USD! So I just bought one. It's an analog connected 1280*1024 display, wonderful and wonderfully cheap. I'd never have bought the Apple one, just because it costs almost the double amount of money here.

Back