OmniWeb 4.1sp3

Red Phoenix

Registered
OmniWeb 4.1sp3 appears to be out, at the same place as 4.1sp1. I don't know of any improvements per say, but it seems faster.

Since I only get digests for the OmniWeb mailing list, I just now saw this:

Subject: OmniWeb 4.1 sneaky peek 3 is now available

You'll find OmniWeb 4.1 sneaky peek 3 at http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/outgoing/sneakypeek/ .

Recent changes: we made a number of CSS improvements for sp2, along with more JavaScript fixes. (ESPN looks much better now.) Unfortunately, sp2 introduced a problem with loading pages which access layers from JavaScript, so people didn't really get to enjoy those
improvements. This problem is fixed in sp3.

(We haven't fixed the big leak yet, nor the reload problem--we haven't forgotten about them, and we'll fix them before we release 4.1 beta 1, but in these first few sneaky peek releases we're mostly focused on extending our compatibility and getting development builds out to you quickly so you can give us feedback.)

Ken

I didn't find out about it this way, anyway. I just have OmniWeb check every twelve hours to see if the Sneaky Peak directory has changed.

yowch I hope they fix that leak soon. I left sp1 running for a few hours. I happened to be using fink to compile something (it was updating the gnome install) and I noticed that it made OW almost totally unresponsive. I remember the mem leak and I checked top... OW was using over 700MB of ram, eating up even my 1.1GB. wow. That's some leak. I quit OW and pow, the compile stopped stalling and went normally. Must have been paging like crazy...

I too notice a speed increase....and this is the first build of OmniWeb that has worked at my online bank.....progress!

I still haven't encountered the memory leak, but I haven't left OmniWeb open for more than an hour. Now that every application opens so fast, I just have no need to leave most applications running all the time.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
I still haven't encountered the memory leak, but I haven't left OmniWeb open for more than an hour. Now that every application opens so fast, I just have no need to leave most applications running all the time.

The memory leak has been pretty obvious to me in OmniWeb 4.1 sp3. If you keep the ProcessViewer open or use the top command in the Terminal and start browsing the web, it builds up pretty fast. OmniWeb usually opens on my machine taking up about 2.3% of memory (I have 640MB ram), although will continue to climb by about .2% - .8% (depending on the size of the web site) with every new page loaded/reloaded. It's currently at 10.4% for me. Fortunately because of OS X's protected memory, this isn't too much of a problem... just quit OmniWeb and launch it again occasionally to clear up the memory.

Cheers,
Dak

OmniWeb 4.1sp4 was just released... not sure what updates are in it... I can confirm the memory leak still exists though. Happy browsing.

Cheers,
Dak

Good call. I'm getting it right now.

I have since seen the memory leak bug, twice in fact. And since I have my swap files on a special partition with 700 MB on it, I actually got an out of memory error. Man, haven't seen one of those since my copy of the Public Beta arrived in the mail.

Back