OmniWeb 4.5sp1 - 4.5sp9

OmniWeb 4.5sp4 contains the following changes since 4.5sp3:

- The privacy preferences (ad blocking) should be completely functional now:
- Restored ad blocking by image size.
- Restored ad blocking for the setting "that aren't from the site which loads them".
- JavaScript popup blocking has been restored.
- Fixed bug #7405: Scroll wheel speed too fast. We now scroll 10 pixels rather than 36 for each scroll line.
- OBJECT elements with text/html content now work (used in the W3C CSS Test Suite)
- We now update the font manager with our selected fonts and fixed font families.
-- This means that pages which previously displayed using the wrong font should now use the correct one.
- Double-clicking on a word or triple-clicking on a line will now select the entire word or line before the last click lets up (as most other applications do), instead of requiring you to let up on the last click before the selection was made.
- Fixed a bug that caused OmniWeb to crash on <http://wamu.com>.
- Fixed problems with the dragging of images as well as contextual menus on images.
- Set the generic font styles to the following:
-- Serif: Times New Roman
-- Sans-Serif: Lucida Grande
-- Cursive: Zapfino
-- Fantasy: Payprus

sp4 is looking great!

the final 4.5 is going to be a top notch browser.

right now though, still rough around the edges...which is to be expected.

After 2 years, and a move to the Webcore rendering engine, that a Flash bug that only affects OW is still present...

View

Gear Head Multimedia

View in both OWsp444 and Safari and/or Camino or Mozilla.

The preloader, which works in every other browser, STILL doesn't work in OW. This site was designed in the days of Flash 5, and hasn't worked since day 1 of OW on OS X . To add insult to injury, I've filed it as a bug at least 3 diffferent times back in the days of the OW 4.1 sneaky peaks, and it's still not fixed.

Well, every bug I've ever submitted myself was fixed. Maybe you should just file it again. How exactly do you define the bug? I don't see into the code of the Flash movie, and preloads work fine on our own site, for example - http://elixir.ch ... (choose 'enter' and go to team to see...)

Well, every bug I've ever submitted myself was fixed. Maybe you should just file it again. How exactly do you define the bug? I don't see into the code of the Flash movie, and preloads work fine on our own site, for example - http://elixir.ch ... (choose 'enter' and go to team to see...)

After the third submission, I abandoned the OmniWeb ship, and now just peer back from time to time to see how the 'ol gal is doing.

It's nothing too advanced, just a simple actionscript that determines how much of the movie is loaded, and when it reaches 100%, it tells it to start playing. Every other browser runs it fine, so I really don't know what OWs problem with it is (and apparently, neither do their engineers).

But it is good to see them working with Webcore - most of the rendering issues they had previously now seem to be history.

Now all they need to do is update the GUI, add tabs (not slated until 5.0), drop the drawer for bookmarks, and they might get back in the game...

Actionscript in Flash 5 was already Javascript, right? My question is, is it actually the browser that should handle the script or the plugin?

If it's something with Javascript, then I don't get it why OW _still_ doesn't handle it properly, as now Apple's javascriptcore should be in place. However... Oh, well. :)

It's the Flash plugin that handles the code. There is still something funky in the way OW interfaces with the Flash plugin. OW keeps saying they use the same plugin as everybody else now, but theirs is the only browser that has problems with this type of actionscript.

Go figure....

SneakyPeek 5 is out (build 448):

OmniWeb 4.5sp5 contains the following changes since 4.5sp4:
- We now try all the CSS fallback fonts, rather than only trying the first font and then switching to Helvetica.
- We've fixed a bug where we would always use a very light weight (1.0) for fonts rather than the default weight (5.0).
- When asked to switch to bold or italic (or both), we now look through the fallback fonts for a font which supports the requested traits.
- When we switch to italic, we now correctly select the italic variant of a font rather than sometimes just slanting the plain variant (or, even worse, applying extra slanting to the italic variant).
- Incorporated WebCore and JavaScriptCore v73.
- The Safari entry has been updated in the Compatibility preferences to match the user-agent string for the recently released beta 2 version.
- Default link and visited link colors have been updated to match OmniWeb 4.2.
- Visited links should now be colored as such.
- We now create a new window when targeting a frame that does not exist.
- Enabled Undo in text areas.
- Keyboard scrolling with the arrow keys should be much faster now, we tripled the rate.

OmniWeb 4.5sp6 is out. No release notes yet. But: Seems to break posting on vB boards (like this one). Remember: It's still early. ;-)

Stay at sp5 if you can for now.

i miss the way omniweb 4.2 and earlier had the blue 'hazy' glow around links when you clicked on them. now... well, nothing happens when you click on a link. it's hard to tell what you clicked on sometimes...

sp6 is getting REAL nice though. whenever 4.5 goes final, it's gonna be my default browser.

Well, it looks like it loads the plugins "chrome", but I've yet to get it to actually play any Windows Media. It actually consistently crashes the browser (sp7) each time. However, kudos to OW for at least attempting to implement this, when every other browser (sans IE of course) just gave up due to the WMP plugins proprietary nature...

I am totally stoaked for this. Omni makes the best applications IMO. It took a lot of convincing for me to realize that speed matters but this should help. As a student I can't justify paying money for sneakypeaks but I have a feeling I'll like what I see when I do see it.

I paid for omnioutliner because it helped me in many ways I never thought possible. They just make applications and let the user decide how to use them.

i wonder how many sp's they're going to have until the beta releases start?

Well, if memory serves me - I believe the 4.1sneaky peaks ran well above the 80's...

How is stability for everybody? I can consistently crash the browser easily by trying to access WMP content via news.com....

OW and webcore - very interesting!

Seeing as I can't get the sneaky peak (haven't stumped up any cash) can someone post a screenshot with a nice looking site making use of the new webcore stuff please?

I know it will probably look the same as existing OW versions but still - it would be nice to get a look at it.

I like Omnigroup software - I use OmniGraffle (paid up) and love it (I'm always annoyed when I have to use Visio at work!).

Back