OmniWeb - What am I missing?

IslandJordan

Registered
I read the raves about OmniWeb in the forum, but I really don't see what is so great about it... how is it SOOO much better than IE? Is it simiply because OmniWeb isn't affiliated with Microsoft? Am I missing some important benefit of using OmniWeb rather than IE? Someone fill me in. Thanks!

Jordan

Its a cocoa application for one thing. This means it can use the services of other cocoa apps. Open a text doc in TextEdit and you can select an url and load it in Omniweb from the services menu. It also has option to block ad banners and disable the open new window script unless you click on a link. Look through the preferences panel and see what you can find.

It also lets you use the inline spell checker on forums (like this one).

Omniweb is faster than IE. The colors on OmniWeb are more vivid and the lines are sharper.... The web is a much more beautiful place on Omniweb.

By George, you're right! The only qualm I have is the time the app takes to open - 25 bounces on my little iBook! Otherwise, everything else is GREAT.

Grazie,

Jordan

just put it in your login items & leave it open all the time.. this isn't OS9 - you wont 'run out' of ram

It seems this is the sort of thing that will get a person flamed around here, but here goes - I still prefer iCab in OS X. It is faster, more configurable, and IMHO the interface is better layed out.

If only my scroll wheel worked in iCab...

Scruffy your entitled to your opinion. There is no reason for anyone to flame someone because of their browser choice.

btw if you don't like the layout of the toolbar in Omniweb, you can change i by choosing customize toolbar under the Window Menu or right clicking on it.

If you prefer iCab keep using it. The more choices the better.

Just a joke really - I was remembering the 'browser war' in a couple of threads a while ago. Thanks for the tip about OmniWeb's toolbar, BTW.

You can set it to restrict javascript from opening new windows...
which means death to popups -- yay!

Originally posted by marmoset
You can set it to restrict javascript from opening new windows...
which means death to popups -- yay!

Quite possibly my favorite feature. I like that you can restrict to only open a new window if you clicked a link. This is very useful, the window only pops up if I want it to (like on this forum).

Okay, those last two posts about stopping popup windows and such: I think that just made me a true believer. At the very least, it's a feature I sure wish I could find on other browsers on other platforms on other worlds.

-Robert

I agree that stopping pop-up windows is a truly great thing.

This feature is also available in the latest release of Mozilla. I'm not sure if there is an interface for it yet, so we may have to wait for the next release to be able to use it easily.

I'm not actually advocating Mozilla yet - I use it on my Linux box, but it seems sluggish and inelegant on the public beta. I just thought I'd mention the feature, since we were getting all excited about it.

...there are still several sites which do not render correctly, including my company's. Just based on a few of my surface observations I believe this has to do with Omni's handling of CSS and Javascript layout calls, but i could be obtuse here, i haven't spent enough time using the broswer beyond the rendering mistakes to say for sure. What is everyone else's take on this?

The latest version of OmniWeb (4.0cf3 at this time) has far better CSS support than previous versions, but they seem to have settled for the Navigator 'standard'. it's more than they had before, but far less than it should be. notibly the lack of link effects (hover, active, etc) and the like.

hopefully they don't actually think that Netscape was the leader in CSS support. blech.

shortcuts kick ass too. there are a lot of sites i frequent and i can't fit them all on the toolbar well, so i make shortcuts...like vt for versiontracker, and psp for http://www.rit.edu/~pspdawww/. it's very nice. They put in a lot of unique features

I've already sent feedback to Omni detailing the rendering problem as far as I could discern from cursory information. But, everyone's been blowing so much smoke up Omni's butt lately, i think they may feel it isn't something they need to address immediately, but, from a design perspective, if i can't count on the browser displaying the page the way i have coded them, then it isn't any good to me, no matter how many bells and whistles it comes with.

Please, if you like Omni and all its features, but run into pages that do not display correctly, be sure to send Omni feedback about the problem!

I hope they correct this in the next cf, it would then be the best browser I've ever used, hands down.

I agree with plaidpjs. OmniWeb has a lot of potential, and the more we help them by pointing them to specific issues (e.g., pages that render incorrectly), the sooner we'll have a browser worthy of OS X.

-Rob

Originally posted by rharder
I agree with plaidpjs. OmniWeb has a lot of potential, and the more we help them by pointing them to specific issues (e.g., pages that render incorrectly), the sooner we'll have a browser worthy of OS X.

-Rob

:::sniff::: I finally said something someone agreed with... this is a very touching moment for me :::sniff:::

Don't get too comfortable, plaidpjs. We Win/Mac users aren't the best corroboration you could hope for! =)

-Rob

Back