OmniWeb - What am I missing?

I just noticed that the OmniWeb 3 licenses we have expires on March 31st, and there's nothing on your web site about new ones being available. I will be leaving on vacation at the end of this week, and will be gone for about a week, so if things aren't timed right then Steve Jobs won't be able to run OmniWeb and I'll be in great danger when I return!
- Adam Beeman, senior UNIX system administrator, PIXAR Animation Studios

I wonder if OW is still his browser of choice ;)

Originally posted by IslandJordan
The only qualm I have is the time the app takes to open - 25 bounces on my little iBook!

I know this thread is a bit old but if you haven't already you should get the rc1 version. It launches in under 3 bounces on my computer running 10.0.2.

I always think iCab is the best. But in X, it has lots of problem. Under 9, it is excellect. now, if you have update to 10.02 you will found IE is the best. even enable banner, it is faster than OmniWeb with banner disable. I think iCab developer know less than unix, so they can solve the problems although they have try to update iCab several times. If iCab developer knows more about X, iCab will be the best.

OMNIWEB ROCKS :D
Much better than IE, the only prob is that not all is implemented yet but we are hopeful!

Admiral

I've have noticed that something improves in every release of Omniweb. The rc1 version launches in seconds and has several improvements that makes it load pages faster. Also noticed that the spinning arrows now stay there and turn gray when finished loading. You can also click on the spinning arrows to show network activity meaning you can take that item out of the toolbar.

I have rc1 and 10.0.2 and it took literally 93 bounces.

Oh well, OmniWeb sucks for modem users anyhow.

I always think that there is resize problem with OmniWeb. I don't know why some one don't like IE. Is it just because it is from Microsoft? with the update of 10.0.2, IE bounces 12 only now. Other bounces 4. It is faster now. I don't think OmniWeb is faster than IE. It seems some how stupid. Now I hope Netscape is out since X is super stable( I think so, it is more stable than win2k). Netscape makes other disappointed.

Another great omniweb feature: shortcuts, especially the default shortcut. I have my default shortcut set to "http://www.google.com/search?q=%@". So just typing random words into the address bar takes me to the google results page for that search.

This works incredibly well with the already mentioned Open URL service which omniweb offers. I select some text in any application, hit cmd-shift-U, and I get a new omniweb window: if what I selected was a url, I get that page; if it was anything else, I get google's results on it.

The ad-avoidance tricks are also handy. You can get most of them with a bright proxy, but it's nice to have things in one place.

I have yet to get OmniWeb rc1 on 10.0.2 to crash. That is a huge difference over the old OmniWeb. Ie is slow & ugly, so why bother? On a 450MHz G4 with 256MB, OmniWeb comes up in 16 bounces, down from 37 with the first OS X public release. This is with UFS, perhaps HFS is faster, I don't know.

theres just some things that dont work IMO on all 4 'native' browsers (IE,OmniWeb, iCab, Mozilla) all have their individual deficencies.

IE is lacking its XML support and well is still pretty buggy. compared to IE 5 for macos9, it needs polishing. and even that older version was somewhat buggy. the carbon version has lots of serious bugs. repainting issues galore.

OmniWeb has some serious javascript incompatibilities with the stuff i need. main site is our company's Outlook Web Access which is HEAVY on the javascript. otherwise OmniWeb looks great, is slimmer than IE (which isnt hard... sometimes i think Microsoft shoulda been called MemorySoft...)

iCab works great all round. but has some lacking in the java support. aka, needs some. which they know, and are working on. its nice and small, and quick.

Mozilla... well... its definatly still a work in progress for the mac port. lots of weird things that dont work. like dropdown menus. they appear somehwere else on the screen, and dont always work right. and it actually uses more memory than IE. which is what i expected since all the Mozilla distributions are pretty big memory users.

all in all, my main browser is still IE. i hate to say it, cuz i am not a fan of microsoft, but under os9, i was blown away by the little things in ie5. plus the xml support is helpful for my work. but under osx, even with out that, and the little times i need to kill it off, i think its the best one overall.

if i need to do stuff like check my work email, i'll fire up iCab. sometimes i'll use OmniWeb, and even less rarely Mozilla.

i just wish Mozilla were a bit more polished...

Originally posted by scruffy
It seems this is the sort of thing that will get a person flamed around here, but here goes - I still prefer iCab in OS X. It is faster, more configurable, and IMHO the interface is better layed out.

If only my scroll wheel worked in iCab...

My iCab always unexpected quit when downloading file or change setting. I don't know why. I also like iCab.

Just forget Mozilla exists.

IE 5.1 has the best human interface. It's main problem is it doesn't use Carbon events and takes ages to switch windows.

Originally posted by strobe

IE 5.1 has the best human interface. It's main problem is it doesn't use Carbon events and takes ages to switch windows.

Afraid not. Omniweb has a much nicer interface imho. IE has a cheap aqua distortion of an interface. I prefer OW's interface because it does not look so different from the rest of the OS. It also wraps the favorite bar instead of doing the double-arrow thing that ie does.

Heh I do, regularly. But I keep going back to check it out, out of some morbid fascination at what they did to ol' Netscape.

I just downloaded the latest Fizilla and it wasn't that bad. The UI still sucks of course, but it didn't crash and page rendering was pretty snappy. It'll make a decent AOL set-top box browser one day.

Originally posted by endian
I just downloaded the latest Fizilla and it wasn't that bad. The UI still sucks of course, but it didn't crash and page rendering was pretty snappy. It'll make a decent AOL set-top box browser one day.

The rendering engine is currently
the fastest available on OSX
(in my subjective opinion), and
standards-compliant to boot.

Once somebody wraps it in a nice
Cocoa front end it'll be
nearly unstoppable.

Not been using it very long (about a week or so), but Ominweb seems to get stuck occasionally an time out trying to download pages that IE does immediately - anyone else had this behaviour? I hope they sort it, cos I'd like to stop using IE completely if possible.

On a different topic, is anyone aware of an Internet Connect dockling that will avoid me having to open the window every time I want to connect/disconnect?

Originally posted by tismey

On a different topic, is anyone aware of an Internet Connect dockling that will avoid me having to open the window every time I want to connect/disconnect?

you can get 'ppp monitor' from versiontracker ... it allows you to have a resizable window that you can use for connecting... i, for instance, keep the window really small up in the main menu bar ... it also, as the name says, monitors your in - and output and displays it in a nice little graph. very cool app. :)

Back