on file permissions...

I wanted to install the Samba Server Sharing Package 1.0.0, so I downloaded it on a Win2k machine here at school, just like I do with everything else. I only have 56k modem at home, so I use the school's bandwidth while I work @ the computer labs. Anyway, I copied the file to my Zip, took it home, and copied it. Now, I recently noticed that OS X respects file permissions of Windows: I am of the Staff group on the machines here, and the admin group at home (of course), but I have the same username @ both places. So, when I look at the info on files I bring home from school, I am the owner, but the group listed is Staff; I can still change the permissions (read/write) for non-owners, but the group is not admin. So, when I tried to install this package I got an "errors in the installation message" every time, even when I took the author's advice of copying the package off of the disk image & onto a *real* HD. So here's what I did: I took a 1/2 hour and downloaded the sucker at home, copied the package to the HD, and installed it, no problems. So here's what I want to know: is there a way to change the group part of file ownership (i.e. change Staff to Admin)? Will adding myself to the Staff group in NetInfoManager help (I did that just in case, but have seen no impact whatsoever). Please help. Thanks.

The default user list doesn't include an admin user but does an admin group. Both user and group space behave as separate entities and are mutually exclusive. Exclusivity changes once the user is assigned to a group(s). This would be the difference.
There's also the beauty of inter-group relationships, group within a group, expanding ones ability to administer more exotic permission relationships. There is an example of this in OSX (I have forgotten) that perhaps testuser would remember in a thread I shared with him that shows this inter-group scenario.

chown :admin [file]
owns a file to the admin group ;-) the
with chown you can have user:group.

I think they are just different approaches to the same result.

Back