once OSX.1 comes out...

mightyjlr

Registered
i bought a ti powerbook 500mhz over the summer for school... once I can get a copy of 10.1 I was thinking I would format and re-install everything. From the factory my computer came with a 30 GB hd with i guess 2 partitions.. 1 for 9.1 and the other for X. To re-install everything after formatting what do I have to do? Which disk do I use? the 9.1 or the 10? Also, being a windows user all my life, i just realized I don't even know how to format the harddrive on my mac... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're going to need Classic support in OSX, it is best to keep one partition for 9.1/2. This partition is easily updated to 9.2 using the 9.2 updater from Apple. I suggest updating to 9.2 because I found that I could finally use Classic, given than I formatted my OSX partition as UFS. You may like to do so too.

For the OSX part, you can use the Drive Setup utility upon booting from your installer disk to reformat your OSX partition. Check the menus once you boot from the CD. (I forgot exactly which menu launches the utility).

For the upgrade to 10.1, I think you have to use your older installer CD first and then the 10.1 updater, unless you purchased the 10.1 disk from Apple.

to start with OS9 installation.

1. Make sure everything is backed up onto an external disk.

2. Boot into MacOS 9 (.1 or .2) from the OS9 CD (after startup sound, keep finger on 'C' until confirmation of CD booting.

3. Once in the MacOS desktop (from the CD System), use Drive Setup utility to configure what partitions you want. (I personally always have at least 3, 1 for OS9, 1 for OSX, and 1 for work/projects -- seperate from the system partitions (though the way OSX works, it likes to keep users on the OSX drive.))

4. From Drive Setup you can erase the HD's

5. Install OS9 on the intended drive.

6. Restart with the OSX cd in. (Keep finger on 'C' again.

7. Follow the onscreen install procedure for OSX.

8. Restart.

9. Da da!!!! A nice new OS9 and OSX Macintosh.

I'm going to plagurize uoba a bit, but add my thoughts:

1. Make sure [all of your useful data] is backed up onto an external disk.

2. Boot into MacOS 9 (.1 or .2) from the OS9 CD (after startup sound, keep finger on 'C' until confirmation of CD booting.

3. Once in the MacOS desktop (from the CD System), use Drive Setup utility to configure what partitions you want. I recommend 4 partitions:

MacOS9 - 1GB - has OS 9 on it, keep this set up the way you like to work in OS 9 in case you need to boot back into 9 for some reason.

MacOSX - 3GB - has OS 9 and OS X on it. Make sure when OS X runs the Classic environment, it is running it from this partition. This way, if X corrupts the Classic environment, you still have your good working 9 partition available.

Scratch - 2GB - set your browsers to download here and set their caches here, this will reduce disk fragmentation elsewhere, you can reformat this partition anytime you need to and not bother your boot partitions.

Data - xxGB - remaining space has all of your apps and data on it.

Why do I do this? Because I've had Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X corrupt badly enough to require erasing their partition and reinstalling. This allows you to reformat your X partition without harming anything but your prefs.

4. From Drive Setup you can erase the HD's (tell it you want to reformat and click the options button to get into custom partitioning. Partition your drives as you wish)

5. Install OS9 on BOTH the MacOS9 and MacOSX partitions. Once you install X you cannot put 9 on the same partition, but, if you install 9 first and install X over the top, that's fine. After installing, boot into your MacOS9 partition and set it up the way you like it. Do the same for the copy of 9 you installed on your MacOSX partition.

6. Restart with the OSX cd in. (Keep finger on 'C' again.

7. Follow the onscreen install procedure for OSX.

It might seem like a lot of extra work, but it is worth it.

The 4th partition is a nice idea as well. (I usually use this as a 650mb drive for backup purposes -- once full, burn that CD!)

I don't mind being plagerised, as long as it's not from behind!!:D

not even that.

I like the OSX only partition idea, i currently keep my osx apps on the same partition, and 9 apps on the partition, i've found that i get unwanted folders appearing for preferences and users etc even installing a classic app whilst in x. but i do like the idea, im actually backing up everything at the moment ready to re-partition tonight GMT.
So, my questions, if i format OS X partition as UFS, what are the advantages? can i then say backup my preferences on a zip/CDR later on? what happens to all those carbon apps that write classic prefs to my user folder like carracho? are they written in UFS, do i get errors what?
another thing, i've read a few times that too many partitions is a bad thing, 5 or 6 OK on a 20gb HD?
i've just managed to get my carracho server started in X, and keep my users and prefs locked on a seperate partition so they cannot be fvcked with as some admins have found to their cost, are there any known OS X viruse's/trojans/worms? i heard its pretty rare to find a Unix virus. with this is mind, can the virus therefore only 'disease' the partition its on?

i realise this is a bit off the beat and track for this forum/thread but they all seem to bleed into one in the end. i'll start another thread with the same Q's.

thanks

As far as the UFS goes...

When I first installed OSX, I saw the options and said to myself, "UFS... Unix Format, that is what I want." Then I realized the downsides to this formatting option...

1) If you ever boot back into OS9, your mac cannot see the UFS partition. This has its advantages for some things, but the biggest draw back to this is that you are not able to run Norton to check or optimize your disk.

2) It runs slower. Or at least it seems to. There are a few threads a couple of months back debating the issue, but the resulting opinion was that UFS is slower. Maybe this has changed in OSX 10.1, but I doubt it.

3) You cannot install OS9 on it. For obvious reasons...

4) It smells bad (jk)

About the partitions, I would do it a little differently. This is how I broke up my 40g at work...

10g - System OS9/Apps (still primary booting system)
19g - Docs (this is for my files)
1g - Fonts (yes I have this many fonts)
10g - Scratch/OSX

I like this arrangement, and if I was booting mostly in OSX, I would only move OS9 to the Scratch Disk and have OSX on the main System. I would have all my apps including Classic apps on the OSX partition.

The biggest problem with partitioning too small (that I have found) is that you quickly out grow your partitions. With only 3g for OSX and at least OSX applications, you will find you run out of space very quickly. The standard install and developer tools will take just over half of that. If you only have one hard drive that you are working with, then it is a big pain to redo your partitions.

thanks for the prompt reply, yeah, i think i'll go with HFS+, it seems to be the best option.

as for the scratch, i use mine for Photoshop and Toast, and my understanding of it is that its there because its empty and therefore easy to read and write to for PS, so why would you then clog it with OS X, having to optimise for better results down the road? (i know that it doesn't really remain empty but its so much easier and faster to erase it than it is to optimise it. TIP: i also have mine at 659mb (9mb for the .FB folders) so if i want i can use it for CDR's, multiple copies, bootable, autostart and giving nice icons etc)

Also, unless your HD is really messed up, optimisation takes longer than i think you would ever really save, just opening the damn app and starting takes more time than you'll eventually save.

having said that, i often optimise my disks thinking i'm going to get something out of it, and never do.

10g for my Scratch and for OSX is not that bad. I use Photoshop all of the time, and I do not boot into OSX at work as much unless I am doing web design.

I work with MEGA sized files in Photoshop too. We have an Epson 9000 at work, and I usually work in the files at 180 dpi @ 100% with some of the posters up to 9' x 3'. Of course, it helps to have a lot of memory... I have 768 on it right now, and they only reason why I did not max it out was because at the time 512mb chips were way overpriced ($299 from crucial).

With modern hard drives, you do not notice the speed benefits of optimization as much, but it still makes a difference. I find that when the computer starts crashing, that it is time to optimize. =) I tend to do that about once every few months depending on how heavy the computer is being used.

Back