One of Apple's mistakes...plz help?

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
I asked this before at another forum and they said the only way to fix it is by reformatting which i do not want to do. Im sure this has happened to someone else out there and i just wanna make sure that there is no other way around it.

Anyway I once had 10.1.4 a long time ago. As well as 10.1.3. Perfectly installed on my computer. Ok...Some software screwed my computer up and I had to reinstall 10.1.0 from CD. I found that i couldn't update again to 10.1.3 or 10.1.4 because there were always errors installing them, even with installer update, etc. I then could only go up tp 10.1.2. When 10.1.5 came out, it installed perfectly. I had it for a while until I had to reinstall 10.1.0 AGAIN. So now im stuck down here with crappy old 10.1.0 until i get jaguar. I can't wait that long. Im no computer genius, but I think that it can't install something thats previously been there due to corrupt data or something. Is there anyway to get rid of that data, to clean it out so i can 10.1.5 again besides reformatting? Plz help out...This is one of apple's greater follies.

install 10.1.5 and back up a working copy using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then if you need to reinstall just use CCC to copy the backup to your harddrive. It works for me! Backing up is a wonderful thing

UPDATE: if you do repartition, create a back up partition. you can install 10.1.5 and back it up on the back up partition. its faster to copy between partitions than from a burnt cd.

open
/library/receipts
put it in list view, from date modified with the upside=down triangle, and install every one that seems likie it may do the trick, in chronological order from when it was last modified.

PsyncX (available from VersionTracker) seems to work better than CCC. Just my opinion. (Note: I wrote PsyncX, but only because I really liked the way psync, the app that PsyncX is based on, works)

David

Back