Online Credit Transactions

melvin

Registered
Need some urgent advice/guidance I have been making websites for about 2 years, mainly in flash, dreamweaver and a client has asked me if it was possible to set up an online form where the visitors can buy there product with their credit card, I do not know a lot about this side of web and have been avoiding it but think its about time to start somewhere.

Is this difficult to setup, is it possible to learn in say a weeks time?
If anyone can help me out would be much appricated!

This is not the sort of thing you can do in a week - not if you want to do any sort of due diligence.

As soon as you are processing financial data, the stakes become very high all of a sudden.

You need to deal with security in transit from client to web server, secure web programming (no sql injection attacks allowed), secure storage, secure communication with the credit card companies, and either secure deletion of the information after a transaction is completed, or secure long-term storage.

Some sites - even ones that have been in doing e-commerce a long time - don't do their own credit card processing. Saikosounds, a music distributorship in Hong Kong I buy things from occasionally, has a third party do their credit cards - you're at their site as you search their catalog (pretty sophisticated search too - some talented people worked on that site), add stuff to the shopping cart, and so on. Then you want to make a purchase, and all of a sudden you're at the site of third party, a company that specializes in secure online transactions.

Check to see if the bank that your client has a business account at offers services mentioned above. A lot of them do.

Back