Only $100 more for a 17" iMac than a similar configured PowerMac

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
WOW! A 17" flatscreen for $100. Not bad... I really like the new pricing.

Don't merge this thread.

Thanks.

There is a thread going on over in hardware about this particular topic. Basically it comes down to expandability mainly as well as some performance (L3 cache/gigbit ethernet, neither of which you can add to the iMac). But exandability is the biggee.

only pc users have to change their pieces every 2 months. They say it's because they want the fastest thing, but we all know it's because:

The one they bought last week was not compatible with their motherboard, HD, RAM, etc.

and/or

It did not cost much but it is broken now...

In conclusion, unless you own a business and really have to keep your mac technologically up to date, expandability isn't really important.

Originally posted by Canada-Man
only pc users have to change their pieces every 2 months. They say it's because they want the fastest thing, but we all know it's because:

The one they bought last week was not compatible with their motherboard, HD, RAM, etc.

and/or

It did not cost much but it is broken now...

In conclusion, unless you own a business and really have to keep your mac technologically up to date, expandability isn't really important.

Please, the old pc cracks are amusing at times, but they also get old. Now more than ever parts is parts. That Mac video card is the same as the pc. The ide controller is the same. The networking cards are the same. The ram is the same (if you're lucky). The storage is the same. Other than the mb/case, not much is different hardware wise between a Mac and PC.

In the other thread I pointed out that it is a)businesses and b) tinkerers c)power users on a budget that consider expandability important. Don't underestimate the # of people that fall into b and c. I know I'm one, and given a choice for me, I absolutely insist on the expandable option. For my wife otoh, an iMac is perfect.

And that's the great thing about choice, isn't it? :)

I must say I like the iMac. You buy it, fill it with RAM and use it (working, relaxing, whatever...) until you buy the next big thing and pass it on to your (or somebody else's) kids.

The option to easily add/replace a harddrive and graphics cards of course are a must in Apple's 'business' Macs (business being graphics pros), where a 533 MHz Dual PowerMac can still be a very, very good workstation or fileserver, although it's quite old.

In the other thread I pointed out that it is a) businesses and b) tinkerers c) power users on a budget that consider expandability important. Don't underestimate the # of people that fall into b and c. I know I'm one, and given a choice for me, I absolutely insist on the expandable option.

On item (a) [businesses], for my entire department with about seventy computers, mostly for office productivity tools, not high end graphics, it has been some years since anyone except one power user has needed to upgrade anything internally beyond adding RAM and replacing dead hard disk drives. Firewire/USB externals and whole computer upgrades handle the few additions we have wanted, for both Mac and Windows users. So these days, eMac's or even G4 iMac's look most cost effective on the Mac side.

Back