Only 120, of 200GB, are recognized.

dalo

Registered
Hi folks.

Well, my PowerMac G4 (PCI graphics) has a "Maxtor 6B200PO 200GB 7200RPM ATA133 8MB" hard disk. It is HFS+ formatted. It is a shame, and kind of embarrassing, that I haven't noticed it since now, but only 120GB of the hard disk's total capacity (wich was 200GB on the last machine (Windows), it lived in).

The system I am running is Mac OS X Tiger. The tool I use to check the disk size is the regular Disk Utility.

Can anyone give me an hint of what's going on? Is all the 200GB only available in ATA133?

albloom said:
See this Apple Tech Note:

Click Me

Thanks a lot. However,

"If the drive is not formatted using Mac OS X 10.2 or later, the maximum volume size available is limited to approximately 128 GB."

does not makes sense. I did format the drive in the installation program of Tiger. (The drive was NTFS dynamic formatted, and I did a complete format of the drive, and created a new partition.)

It's not that I'm running out of space or anything, just find this pretty weird. Both my drive and the motherboard seemt to meet the requirements published by Apple.

'(Are) all the 200(+) GB (hard disk drives) only available in ATA133?', yes.

'Can anyone give me an hint of what's going on?', albloom did above (via the Apple link).

There is a potential software solution called SpeedTools (scroll down to 'ElDiabloConCaca's entry).
I suggest you install the 300 GB hdd into an external Firewire case, and seek only 120 GB GB hdds for the G4's internal hdd bays.

barhar said:
'(Are) all the 200(+) GB (hard disk drives) only available in ATA133?', yes.

'Can anyone give me an hint of what's going on?', albloom did above (via the Apple link).

There is a potential software solution called SpeedTools (scroll down to 'ElDiabloConCaca's entry).
I suggest you install the 300 GB hdd into an external Firewire case, and seek only 120 GB GB hdds for the G4's internal hdd bays.

Well, it's only 200 Gb, but point taken. I'll look that link up and think of the Firewire sollution as a backup plan.

Back