Open Directory - MAC OS X Server - Replica Help

tiburm

Registered
Hi,

1. We use a Mac OS X 10.4.11 like Standalone Server, the web - mail - share services are used too.
2. We buy a Xserve MAC OS X Server 10.5.1 to use like Master Server, in this moment is configured like Standalone Server.
3. The Mac OS X Server 10.4.11 we want to use like secondary server or replica server, but we dont know how send all the user information stored in this moment server to the new Xserve MAC OS X Server 10.5.1.

..... First, I begin to change Xserve MAC OS X Server 10.5.1 to Master server???
..... If I change my old server to replica server, I can lost my users data???
..... I export my users first to the Xserve???

Some ideas to make this operation plz

The most important thing to remember is that you cannot mix OS versions in an OD Master/Replica configuration. If you have a 10.5.x Master, you must have a 10.5.x Replica. If you are using a 10.4.x Master, you must have a 10.4.x replica. The replication capabilities between 10.5 and 10.4 are quite different and won't allow you to mix the OS versions.

You can join a 10.5 server to a 10.4 domain or vice versa. That means that the client Server will be able to use the Domain login information. For example, your 10.4.11 server can be joined as a client and leverage the usernames, passwords and Kerberos on the 10.5 server. It won't be a replica though; a replica is a server that contains a full, up to date copy of all the domain information. While manually moving the information may seem like a logical solution, it really is not what you want to do, since you mentioned that as a possibility in your post. :)

Michael

Txs for your help, im newbie in Mac, so:

How I can make:

your 10.4.11 server can be joined as a client and leverage the usernames, passwords and Kerberos on the 10.5 server

Txs for your help, im newbie in Mac, so:

How I can make:

your 10.4.11 server can be joined as a client and leverage the usernames, passwords and Kerberos on the 10.5 server

On your 10.4.11 Server, go into Applications/Utilities/Directory Access and use the LDAPv3 plugin to establish a connection to the 10.5 Open Directory Master. :)

Back