Open Directory Master vs. Replica: Round 1… FIGHT!!!

MDLarson

Registered
Hello,

I've got a couple of subnets hooked up via a site-to-site VPN. Each subnet has an Xserve running Mac OS X Server 10.5 on each. One is the Open Directory Master and the other is an Open Directory Replica.

Everything works great until one location loses its internet connection. A few things happen:
1) In Server Admin, my ACL users and groups revert to some kind of crazy ID number instead of their normal custom name (see attached screenshot).
2) In Workgroup Manager, I can't access the LDAP node. I get this error message:
Unable to open the requested node.
The node /LDAPv3/10.0.1.106 couldn't be opened because an unexpected error of type -14002 occured.
3) File sharing for my windows users goes crazy. Specifically, the privileges seem to fall back to the POSIX set instead of ACL.
4) My users get upset.

When I set this all up, I read this in the Service Configuration Assistant:
Open Directory Replica
Select this option to create an Open Directory Replica on this server. You will mirror directory information from another directory service.

So, my question is… do I have something misconfigured? Or is it just bad practice to do OD Master / OD Replica over the internet?

I assumed from the description of the service that the OD Replica, being a "mirror", would keep a local copy of the list of users / passwords / permissions and only be updated when the OD Master was changed.

I can supply the exact settings if needed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ACL Users and Groups.png
    ACL Users and Groups.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 6
Back